Genuine Citroen filters?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ray

Genuine Citroen filters?

Post by Ray »

What companys do Citroen commision to manufacture their 'genuine' filters?
I'm looking for oil , air and fuel filters for 2010 berlingo 1.6hdi and nemo 1.4hdi
Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I believe Purflux is the company....

GSF normally supply OEM or OEM quality...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

To be honest; most pattern filters are indistinguishable from filters that have "Citroen" printed on them.
Manufacturer-branded filters are essentially the same as what you'd find in Halfords, just with an even bigger price markup.
I've been using Motaquip stuff for a while now, they're cheap and they do the job.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i find GSF sell a cheap french brand unless you specify you want the better quality products, some of the fuel filtters they sell look orible,

i belive Motaquip is part of the PSA group so should be the real macoy, i have always found there prodicts to be of a good quality,

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:i belive Motaquip is part of the PSA group so should be the real macoy, i have always found there prodicts to be of a good quality,
Yes Motaquip are owned by PSA.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Chlorate wrote:To be honest; most pattern filters are indistinguishable from filters that have "Citroen" printed on them.
Manufacturer-branded filters are essentially the same as what you'd find in Halfords, just with an even bigger price markup.
I've been using Motaquip stuff for a while now, they're cheap and they do the job.
Indistinguishable from the outside, but often very different on the inside.

There are many ways in which a pattern oil filter can be different from the original OEM filter. The pattern parts don't always have drainback valves, they don't always have pressure release valves or their valves can open at a different pressure to the original, the filter material can vary in terms of how coarse or fine it is, how thick it is and of course how much of it there is, i.e. filter area can vary. Some of the cheaper ones are not well made.

There is a site where the author bought, disected and reviewed a load of different brands of oil filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s true not all filters are the same. We are lucky that we can buy the actual OEM Purflux filters for our Citreons at very reasonable cost. Original Honda filters............how much? :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

It's annoying when you have to use manufacturer branded filters etc on a car that's under warrenty.
I cringed when the guy at Kia told us that when mum bought her horrible plasticmobile.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Like Kowalski said, I bought Halfords own oil filter for MGB, moons ago, and brgs rattled on start up, so then fitted Unipart filter, and the rattle gone again - no drain-back valve
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I investigated that on a previous vehicle and took the filters off (2) and discovered no oil in them overnight :lol: This is why the oil light stayed on for about 8 secs on startup .Changing to high quality filters (Cummings Fleetgaurd) it went off in 1 sec. It`s not an issue if filter hangs upside down on a car and is therefore always full of oil.

Nevertheless there is the quality of paper filtering to consider. Chlorates post is not wrong though. I have bought Renault boxed to find a simple Fram on the filter........it`s a minefield :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

lexi wrote:I investigated that on a previous vehicle and took the filters off (2) and discovered no oil in them overnight :lol: This is why the oil light stayed on for about 8 secs on startup .Changing to high quality filters (Cummings Fleetgaurd) it went off in 1 sec. It`s not an issue if filter hangs upside down on a car and is therefore always full of oil.

Nevertheless there is the quality of paper filtering to consider. Chlorates post is not wrong though. I have bought Renault boxed to find a simple Fram on the filter........it`s a minefield :lol:
Putting the oil filter upside down may stop it from emptying draining its content into the sump at startup, but what it won't do is prevent the oil galleries from emptying themselves. The oil pump will pump oil through the oil filter, through the oil galleries all way to the top of the block and into the head. The anti-drainback valve should keep the oil galleries and the filter filled, so that as soon as you start cranking the engine, oil starts coming out of the oil galleries into the bearing surfaces rather than having to wait for it to make its way up. Until the oil galleries are all pretty much full you won't have much oil pressure, the air that escapes doesn't have the same viscosity as the oil.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yes good point. To add to the scenario some vehicles have a drainback valve in the oil pump itself.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2