timing problem sorted but now have a clutch issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spliffy
My Cars:

timing problem sorted but now have a clutch issue

Post by spliffy »

i got a solid crank shaft pulley off a 205 gti that sorted timing issue but now have a new issue i get a grinding noise when i try to engage a gear when i get a gear and let the clutch out the engine stalls any ideas bearing in mind i have put my clutch onto a new bottom end and re fitted the gear box cheers everyone my car does not have a clutch cable but a weird plastic thing i take it that is hydraulic
Spliffy
have owned : renault 21,mk1 megane 1.6 8v
currently own renault megane grand scenic ( 1.9 dci privelige )
currently own renault megane coupe 1.6 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it's hydraulic Spliffy.

How did you engage the release bearing when you mated the gearbox to the engine? I ask as there is a specific procedure and it's very hard to re-use a release bearing on the pull-type clutch. Did you mount the release bearing on the forks and then use the special tool to engage the release bearing with the diaphragm spring after the gearbox was in place.

There is no way a gearbox can be replaced with the release bearing in place on the diaphragm spring...

Also, did you ensure the slave cylinder was correctly locked and rotated into place in the bell-housing?

Did you ensure the push-rod in the slave cylinder was in place at all times the gearbox was off? If the rod fell out and was simply replaced, you may have air in the hydraulics leading to restricted travel.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

i pulled out the pin the located the arm on the bearing then put pin back in this was after hours of trying other ways !!
Spliffy
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

just making sure i can only put the friction part of the clutch in one way boys it was amonth ago since i did it if i remember correctly it only went in one way
Spliffy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, the plate will only go in one way. If you try the other way, the centre boss fouls on the flywheel and the pressure plate will not fit properly. If you did assemble it that way, the clutch would not disengage at all.

That was a very inventive method of getting the gearbox back on. Not sure it's a good one though. I have a dead ML5 in my garage. I'll take a look later and see if there are any issues doing it that way...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dose this car have a DMF and if so can that cause this sort of fault,

i have not worked on any of these as yet

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Xantias NEVER got DMF, it didn't come untill the C5 years - Arent we lucky!

Jim Special tool?? :?:

Theres no need to waste money on one of them, as the starter is already off, get a nice long screw driver or bar, and push the release lever towards the slave cylinder orface, and it engages the release bearing! Done it twice now :lol:

Pah, blydi haynes and their "Special" Tools..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good method Paul!
citroenxm wrote: Jim Special tool?? :?:
You'll be reassured to know my "special tool" is like most of my special tools. Home made at nil cost :D It is an old screwdriver with the end bent into a right-angle and about half an inch long.

Works beautifully...
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sounds good to me!! 8)

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

yes rod fell off how do i go about bleeding but clutch seems ok as i say when i do get a gear reverse being easiest when i let out clutch engine stalls i did not remove bearing as i could not i simply pulled out the pin located arm on bearing then put pin back on seemed to look ok
Spliffy
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

does this look like a box off job boys i hope not whats the best way of starting to look and where do i look
Spliffy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hopefully Not Spliffy!!

I'll reply more fully in a bit...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've had a look at the gearbox and the release arm arrangement and doing it the way you did Spliffy, by removing the shaft, should be OK but the one thing that worries me, because you are working more or less blind, is did the release bearing ears remain properly attached to the forks?

It's hard to check without taking then 'box off again..

Bleeding the hydraulics will be tricky. I've never done it but my approach would be to firstly slip off the cover of the master cylinder reservoir, easier said than done as it's almost completely hidden up on the bulkhead under the sound deadening and obscured by the turbo ducting and heater hoses, and top up with normal brake fluid (not LHM!).

Then, remove the slave cylinder from the bellhousing and withdraw the push rod most of the way. Have an assistant gently press the clutch pedal whilst you hold onto the pushrod. Hopefully fluid and air will seep out. Then, with the clutch pedal at the bottom of its travel, push the pushrod in as far as it goes and keep pushing it as the assistant slowly raises the clutch pedal. Repeat a few times, topping up the reservoir as you go.

At the end, keep the clutch pedal propped up so it cannot fall and push the pushrod out.

As I say, not something I've actually done so it's all just theory really.

You can buy a new master/slave/pipe all ready to fit but they cost an amazing amount of money and they're difficult to fit...
Jim

flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

As far as the stalling goes, as you say the car has stood for a month, have the brakes seized on (specially in this bad weather). As far as the clutch is concerned if the pedal travel/pressure feels ok I think you'll have to take the box out and start again!
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

iv had a think and i dont recall any fluid loss at all from the push rod end so im guessing not a hydraulic fault it looks like i will have to take the box off can anyone tell me the correct procedure of fitting the box back on please as the haynes manuall is very vague also what is the procedure of removing box as i have only taken out with engine attached and how do you know you have done it correctly before installation thank you guys
Spliffy