xantia auto gearshift

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy007
My Cars:

xantia auto gearshift

Post by andy007 »

Hi
Temp outside has been down to -10 a few times and other mornin xantia was a little stiff on getting out of 'p' mode. Left it for a few mins and all ok.
However, 2 days later, started ok but again very cold, and probably didnt give it enough time. Got it from 'p' mode to reverse when suddenly shift change lever went a bit slack. It has resistance when pulled down towards 2-1 but thats it. Does anyone have a schematic or photo's of the layout of the gear selector and how to get into it please? Maybe in my impatients could I have bent something in the assembly as I cannot now start it as wont go into 'p'mode.
Is there anyway to move gear selector temporarily from the engine end into 'p' so I can run engine and get susp-up to get underneath?
My xantia is M reg 2ltr bog standard g-box.. no sports or snow modes and only has 68k on the clock. Love this car and hope its not ther last days.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Andy,

I'd guess the selector cable has had moisture in it and has frozen and is now a bit damaged. Hopefully repairable

Yes, you can start the car by removing the airbox to reveal the end of the cable on the gearbox, disconnecting the balljoint on the end of the cable and manually moving the lever into P. With the gearbox end of the cable disconnected, the operation of the cable can be checked. You may just find something has bent, such as the cable end retainer bracket and the cable itself is OK.

If the cable needs replacing, it's a bit of a task. You'll need to drop the exhaust and cat right off and then remove the heatshield. Only then can the selector box be dropped down and the selector lever end of the cable be revealed.

The cable is replaceable without having to replace the whole selector lever assembly, as is the case with later autoboxes.

It's worth checking that the gearbox selector lever is tight on it's shaft and that the free play you are experiencing is not simply due to this or the cable having slipped off the balljoint.

This is a diagram of the selector lever. It usefully shows the gear positions on the gearbox lever.

I also have all the instructions for adjusting the cable but basically, with both the 'box and lever in P, the balljoint on the cable should be in alignment with the ball on the gearbox selector lever. The nuts on the cable outer nearest the gearbox are adjusted to achieve this.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

One minor point: On the 8V engine, the airbox is above the camshaft, so is not obstructing the view of the selector, but maybe the air ducting is...

I owned one of these cars, but cannot remember if the selector lever on the transmission is directly visible or not.