is it possible to?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiadriver

is it possible to?

Post by xantiadriver »

Helo...i have had this problem for a while but borrowed a friends cars for a couple of months so didnt need to worry about it... I have a failed matrix/0-rings on 1999 Xantia and replacing matrix is not an option so i will use k-seal as temporary repair and another friend will buy the car as a temporary runabout but i need to get any coolant out of the matrix housing before i let him have the car. i have been told that if i remove the heater blower i can get my hand inside the housing to wipe away any coolant residue..i would like to know if that is true and would i have to remove glovebox to do this? Many thanks for any replies
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, it's not true, unless you're an octopus :lol: Access to the matrix that way is stopped effectively by the mixer flap and even if you could reach it, the end of the matrix nearly touches the floor of it's housing which would make any mopping up operation difficult. It's difficult enough to mop up the spillage even with the matrix out.

Rather than K-Seal, try Forte Stop Leak. It is seriously good stuff and did the trick on a leaky matrix in one of mine for months. The water laying at the base of the matrix will dry up in time once the leak stops.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Not only the flap, you ALSO have the Air Con evaporator in the way, as Air Con was a S2 Standard fit...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantiadriver

Post by xantiadriver »

Thankyou..i do have eels in my aquarium but doubt if i could give them a sponge and send them in to clear up for me mores the pity. My brother presumed it would be the same as a volvo he fixed with same problem giving him access. The car is parked several miles away which is why im asking before i go round there to see the layout and i have already wasted lots of tme searching internet.Is it possible to drill a hole in the bottom of the matrix housing to drain the leaked coolant? There is unbearable stench with blower on so i presume its fluid in housing or do failed o-rings leak fluid into the housing also?
many thanks
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

It'll go away soon enough, you'll just have this wonderful sweet smell of ethylene glycol for a while.
Hey. it's an incentive to get the matrix sealed up, get it warm for a while and you'll evaporate off most of it rather quickly.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil: