Adjusting Tickover and Throttle action, Late Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Adjusting Tickover and Throttle action, Late Xantia 1.9TD

Post by onthecut »

Acquired quite a nice Xantia estate as a temporary run around, with everything in decent order and most nasty jobs done. Only issue I came to realise was a consistent high tickover (1000 rpm +) and a big lag in the revs dropping off when lifting off the throttle. I guess this is the last version of the old 1.9 before the HDi units -- Bosch pump which utilises a sensor injector and has ignition key recognition. Have sorted both, as follows --
Tickover ---- There is a vacuum device fastened to the engine just by the curve of the rubber air intake hose (filter to turbo pipe). Follow the cable that runs from it down to the pump. Where the inner cable is anchored there is an operating cam and two vertical adjustment screws, each with a 10mm locknut. With the nuts slackened, screwing the adjuster closest to the cambelt end further in trimmed the tickover down to a much more palatable 800 odd. I wasn't sure whether the other adjuster would limit the travel of the first, so backed that off as a precaution.
The slow drop off of revs seemd to be entirely down to the dashpot affair on the back of the pump and was easily sorted by adjusting the screw that bears on it at the end of the throttle arm.
Must stress that I have no idea if these are the official means of making the adjustments (I guess you're probably not supposed to adjust anything at all), but they have certainly produced a good result as far as I can tell.

While I was at it, removed the EGR solenoids and blanked the pump outlet.

Mike.
deian

Re: Adjusting Tickover and Throttle action, Late Xantia 1.9T

Post by deian »

onthecut wrote: While I was at it, removed the EGR solenoids and blanked the pump outlet.
What kind of improvements did you get by removing the EGR solenoids?
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

Hi Dei.

On other Cits I've had, it does seem to lead to the inside of the induction manifold getting coated in a pretty unpleasant layer of crud, I guess as the products of combustion mix with whatever oil vapour it's breathing in at the time. In any event, I'd just sooner keep the air going into the cylinders as clean as possible.

Mike.
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

I have similar problem with revs holding for a couple of secs, Sometimes its fine though? My tickover is set at 800rpm. I could do with sorting it, gets on my nerves.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Mike,

Had same problem with revs not dropping back quickly, when I first got my TD, 11 years ago, and found there was some sort of what I took to be a damper unit on/close to where the throttle cable connects to the injector pump. Can't remember now what it looked like (without much rumaging), but removed it, and problem solved.

As regards tickover adjustment, Haynes shows on Bosch pump that the screw nearest cambelt is the fast idle adjustment, with the other being the idle speed adjustment.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The damper looks a bit like a miniature boot strut (that's the best way I can describe it) about 3 inches long but shrouded so the stanchion is not exposed.

I used to throw them away on 406's if they were worn out as people did not like the price of a replacement, did not really seem to matter that it did not have it, the anti-stall was quite good enough to prevent that happening.

:)
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Mine has got the damper & have considered binning it, does it serve a purpose? I assumed it was to prevent stalling?
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
spider

Post by spider »

Brigsygtt wrote:Mine has got the damper & have considered binning it, does it serve a purpose? I assumed it was to prevent stalling?
It slows the return action down, but when they wear out they do not do anything. The anti-stall is probably enough in most cases. Think of the earlier pumps without them etc, but I've only really seen them fitted to 406 1.9 XUD's anyway, as we v. rarely saw a Citroen.

If its working (take one end off and feel its compression etc) leave it, if I had one and it was too lose I'd throw it away.

Watch as I think some of them have some "c" clips holding them on that like to disappear.

As I don't own a car with one fitted, would be good to wait to see who has one and who has thrown it etc, although I never remember anyone coming back to complain when it was removed due to rattling around.

:)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I always had the idea that these mini 'boot struts' on the IP were to do with emissions control or something?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Having removed the damper many years ago, I've never ever had a stalling problem.

Apart from the benefit of the quicker drop in revs, I also found (IIRC) that the engine then trickled along more happily in low gears at tickover
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Xantia!! Traitor :D
spider

Post by spider »

red_dwarfers wrote:I always had the idea that these mini 'boot struts' on the IP were to do with emissions control or something?
As far as I'm aware, they are only to slow the control lever's return to the rest position. If you take a close look, you`ll see the lower end is fixed so all it does is slow the return of the lever back. :)