When is an IR Xantia Fob, not an IR Xantia Fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

When is an IR Xantia Fob, not an IR Xantia Fob

Post by gadgetgricey »

Wanted to get a replacement IR Key Fob for my Xantia, and only found one auction on ebay that had the same one's.

Bought it, changed the key blade and just spend 20 mins trying to re-programme it.

Then realised that it does not have the IR "bulb" at the top, even though the remotes from the side look exactly the same.

Pictures below. One without the key is my old working one. One with the key is the new one.

At the time this was the only one on e-bay that was that design, did not realise that it appears there are two variations. (Also just noticed that the activation light is in a different position)

Anything that I can do , or is it just chalk it up to experience. :D

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
XMX

Post by XMX »

Hi Dave,
The new one (Left one in the photo) looks like its from an XM MK2 which both buttons (Lock/unlock and Alarm/deadlock) activate a 'RF' transmitter signal, rather than your original Xantia set up which will be an 'IR' beam to the roof receiver (Lock/Unlock) and then the second button will be a 'RF' transmitter (Alarm/deadlock) !

I hope that makes sense to you, and BTW what did the seller advertise/list it as suitable for ? If its been listed wrong return it and get a refund !

Many times I've seen E-Bay listings stating that 'This plip is suitable for Xantia and XM's' and it plainly obvious that some idiots have not got a clue as to what there listing and suitability as most of the photos I seen with this error usually has the Infra-Red bulb head poking out of the case at the front (Which are only suitable for Xantias) :roll:
You seem to have got one from an XM MK2 (If it is you'd need the matching Textron Receiver box to make work but it will be of no use for your Xantia) !

If you need a IR/RF transmitter/plip as the one on the right in the photo (and matching roof receiver) or was it just a decent case you were after ?
PM me and hopefully I may be able to help you out :D
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Dave

I can confirm that you have obtained a XM RF plip.
Sadly they are not reprogrammable due to the rolling codes security feature.
Please do not return it as unless you paid a fortune I will take it off your hands as spare cases in good nick are hard to find.

John
Xmexclusive
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

xmexclusive wrote:Hi Dave

Please do not return it as unless you paid a fortune I will take it off your hands as spare cases in good nick are hard to find.

John
Cheers for that. I'll drop you a pm with a picture tomorrow as I need to keep the key blade as I've already transferred it over. The only concern I have is that I caused some additional damage to the old one trying to pop the rivet out. Concerned I'll do the same to the new one.

Is there a special knack or is just a screwdriver between the key blade and the remote to prise them apart. (Well it worked for me)

Thanks

Dave
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I see a LOT of muppets who incorectly list things for XM and Xantia which arent. But can NEVER be bothered to tell them!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Dave

Small thin bladed screwdriver worked under the rivet head is what I use.
Difficult to get it in between the rivet head and the case to start with but I find levering carefully first one end of the rivit then the other gets it apart so you can reuse everything.

John
Xmexclusive
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Another way is to drill the rivet head off.

A new rivet and spring comes as a kit for about £1.50 @ Citroen last time I bought one.
1996 Xantia TD (Sold)
2004 Hyundai Trajet 2.7 V6 Auto
2000 Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Because the rivit ends are recessed into the plastic case it can be difficult to drill the rivit head without it rotating as the drill bit bites. You need a very slow drill speed otherwise the rotating rivit just melts into the case plastic.

John
Xmexclusive