zx engine transplant: what belts to use?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kmchoy
My Cars:

zx engine transplant: what belts to use?

Post by kmchoy »

To all concerned,
I had a stock 1.9D ZX auto but cracked the cylinder head and broke the valves. As repair cost was high, I opted to transplant with a Xantia 1.9TD engine block but kept all other parts ie, fuel pump, radiator, starter, injectors, etc. I later added a non citroen turbo (locked at 0.5 bar), intercooler & K&N filter and serviced the fuel pump. Now I have done approx. 70000 km and am about to change the cam belt, tentioners etc. My questions are:
1) Do I use a xantia specs for cam belt, cam tentioners etc or do I maintain ZX specs? Is there any difference?
2) From cold start, my accelerator is rock hard. Only after 20 minutes of hard driving does it loosen. Spraying lots of WD40 at the accelerator cable, fuel pump spring and idle cable loosens the accelerator for about a week, then its back to normal. This happened only after I transplanted the engine. What do I do?
3) I damaged my exhaust pipe during a drive into a construction site. Will I have to worry about any sensors eg. O2, CO etc if I change it to a straight through exhaust pipe?
4) I have had to replace the aircond belt every 40000km as it keeps on tearing. Is this normal?
5) The radiator fan doesn't engage high speed. The fan motor and aircond switch has been changed to no effect. What do I check next?
6) What is the correct boost preasure to set for this engine? The wastegate is not variable, so how do I increase boost?
Any & every advice is wellcomed. Thanks.
regards,
km choy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Cam belt and tensioners are the same, idler rollers are different between early clip on and later bolt on belt covers if you need to change this.
Don't know about the cable, try a new one.
No sensors on exhaust.
Boost pressure in UK is about 1 bar, don't know if differing climates or sea levels affect this, adjustment depends on turbo type but if non standard you are unlikely to get any help here.
Dave
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

hi,
As to that cable, make sure that the engine is not earthing through the cable. Sometimes as the starter current returns via the cable it makes it expand as it gets hot due to electical resistance.
This happened to me once when earth strap rusted on my BX.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If the drive belt for the A/C is tearing at the edges it's a fair bet that either the A/C compressor pully is out of alignment with the alternator and crank pullys or the belt is rubbing against the face of the cam cover (could be slightly different on Xantia compared with ZX). Also check that the belt is routed the correct way around the idler pully.
//NiSk
kmchoy
My Cars:

Post by kmchoy »

Thanks for the reply guys. Additional question:
I read somewhere in the net that a bigger size injector can be used in lieu of a xantia TD fuel pump (to ensure correct fuel ammount/preasure). Any comments?
regards,
km choy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you've got a Bosch pump have a look at this
http://www.lrenthusiastforum.com/ubbthr ... o=0&fpart=
Dave Burns says same pump as used by Citroen and so it applies.
Jeremy