Xsara Heater problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FAC51
My Cars:

Xsara Heater problems

Post by FAC51 »

A couple of days ago the car filled with steam. a one off occurence, but now ...
cold starting on a morning the temp guage rises a lot quicker than i recall it used to, sometimes up to 90 degrees +, whilst the air coming from the heater is stone cold, the heater will then suddenly start blowing hot and the temp guage starts to drop.
During idle the heater goes cold rapidly (temp guage rises) but by giving it a bit of gas and increasing the idle speed it will heat up again (temp guage drops).
There is no water loss from the radiator and the interior doesn't seem to be getting steamy either altho there is at times a wiff of radiator water?
any suggestions ?? altho i expect the answer to be dash out and new matrix !! Hoping its not this as its an R reg and the cost probably out weighs the value of the car despite it being an excellent runner and not even 100k on the clock yet !!
thanks in advance
Rob
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Plenty antifreeze? Apart from that and the usual suspect of matrix I would check the thermostat and the tank cap. Then bleed the system with the valves....then Forte stop leak ......then decision time :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Petrol or diesel?
FAC51
My Cars:

Post by FAC51 »

petrol ... 1.6i ...
dont think it is the thermostat as 3 years ago it was replaced then when i bought the car two years ago i had the black box reprogrammed as it was causing the engine to idle arratically and run rich.
Top tank is ok too ...
Bleed the system with the valves ?? can u explain a little more ??
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Just thinking that concentration of anti freeze may have been low and you may have had a liitle freeze which could have cleared or caused an airlock. Heater not operating properly is can be low coolant or a block.....caused by ice or an air lock.

Don`t discount t/stat......components can fail again easily within that time.

There are a few valves like dustcaps around the system. One should be around Matrix on the bulkhead. Open them from lower (rad) to higher to bleed system. If you are filling the Xsara I think you need to have a filler squeezed into opening to raise the water head as the fill level is lower than matrix.Squeeze the hoses to expel air. You may have had a pocket of ice in matrix or even previous leakage which was frozen and steamed on heat up.

This is only if you are having that hot /cold effect on heater.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2