BX auto question.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

BX auto question.

Post by alan s »

Just asking this on behalf of someone else.
Where do you find & how do you change the filter on the auto transmission of a BX??
The closest I've ever been to one was when I looked inside one when I was thinking of buying, saw it was auto, screamed & ran[}:)][:D]
Alan S
Ice

Post by Ice »

Hello Alan,
The filter is quite hidden inside the gearbox. Start with placing the car on struts, so that you can reach the gearbox-sump and hydraulic parts. Release the pressure bleeding screw (1-1,5 stroke) on the pressure regulator and remove the accumulator sphere. Remove gearbox-oil, because the sump must be removed. It is best to fill with new ATF. Remove the sump, and you'll see the inside of the gearbox. Now watch very carefully, the piece you're looking at is mentioned as the 'hydraulic brain' of the gearbox. Half the size of this element (block) has a little higher surface then the rest of this block. This is the cap under which the filter is located. Carefully loosen the TORX-bolts with which this cap is fitted, you can notice it because two sizes TORX are used. To lift the cap you'll only have to remove the smaller type of torx-bolts. CAREFULLY remove the metal cap, there's a gasket underneath, which can be used again but must not be damaged! You'll see the filter afterwards, it can be cleaned easily with pressurized air and brake-cleaner, you can use a cleaned filter again. Replace everyting, fill up the oil level before starting and be gentle with it the first miles. And be aware of the fact that this is not a job to be done on the street, autoboxes are very sensitive to incoming dirt and dust, so that can cause more damage than it will do good.
If you'd like to know more, please mail me private.
Good luck,
IJ. Smitt
The Netherlands.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thank you kindly for that IJsbrant, very much appreciated; I'll pass the information on.
Alan S