Newbe help/support on Xantia 2.0 HDI starting issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

t3scn

Newbe help/support on Xantia 2.0 HDI starting issues

Post by t3scn »

Hi all,

I've just registered on the site as today I have experienced my first issue with my 1999 Xantia 2.0 HDI SX.

It's been running perfectly and then today it would not start on three different occasions, every time it turns over fine but it seems the immobiliser will not turn off when the key is in place.

I have tried both key fobs plus the master to no avail and then after numerous attempts it suddenly works.

I've had a hunt though old threads but can't find anyone who has had the same issue, is this something that is a common issue or can anyone shed any light on how to rectify the problem.

Once started everything is working perfectly, and it seems to restart fine but then once left it's hit and miss on if the key will work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, oh and Happy New Year.

Si
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The only similar thing thats happened with mine is if you delay starting the engine after opening and getting in the immobiliser will prevent starting unless you lock and unlock again.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Oh , yes , good to have you here BTW !! Welcome to Xantia world :)
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
t3scn

Post by t3scn »

Thanks HDI,

I tried to start it very quickly after unlocking and that didn't help, it seemed to be a issue with recognising the key.

Could it be a battery issue or the cold?[/code]
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum t3scn :D

The first thought that occurs to me is to have a check of the aerial that reads the key chip.

The aerial is wrapped around the ignition switch barrel and you can see the outer of it if you look at the lock. It looks like a rubber ring around it. Positioning of it is critical and it may have worked itself out of position a little over the years.

Pop the steering wheel cowlings off and check it is properly located.

The other thing is to ensure the key is right in the lock as I believe it has to be right in before it'll work. There is a sensor of some sort that causes the bleeps if the key is left in but it might also signal the body computer that the key is properly home.

Is the orange immobiliser light remaining on when the car will not start?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
t3scn

Post by t3scn »

CitroJim wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum t3scn :D

The first thought that occurs to me is to have a check of the aerial that reads the key chip.

The aerial is wrapped around the ignition switch barrel and you can see the outer of it if you look at the lock. It looks like a rubber ring around it. Positioning of it is critical and it may have worked itself out of position a little over the years.

Pop the steering wheel cowlings off and check it is properly located.

The other thing is to ensure the key is right in the lock as I believe it has to be right in before it'll work. There is a sensor of some sort that causes the bleeps if the key is left in but it might also signal the body computer that the key is properly home.

Is the orange immobiliser light remaining on when the car will not start?
Thanks Jim, this is really helpfull as I did note that the bleeping was a little intermittent when the key was in, I'll check the sensor behind te cowling.

In terms of the immobiliser light, it lights up when the key is inserted but then disappears as if all is ok but it is not.

One thing I have also noticed is that the glow plug light doesn't come on, although the engine check lights do and then go off when they should. Maybe it's not the key?

Si
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Glow plug light on HDI's only comes on VERY briefly if the outside temp is very low , like freezing. Above that it never comes on. HDI engines fire up easily even when cold because of the electronic injection system.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, I don't think it's the key either Si. Keys either work or they don't, there's normally no half-measures with them.

One thing you may try is spraying just a tiny bit of electronic contact cleaner in the keyhole. Use the stuff Maplin sell but DO NOT use WD40 for this. You need something gentle and electronics stuff is and will not damage anything.

I'm thinking this might just lubricate and clean the "key in" sensor.

The immobiliser works basically by cutting some power supplies to the ECU. Therefore, the glowplug controller not working is expected when the ECU remains immobilised as it is directly controlled by it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

If you turn the ignition to position 2 can you hear the lift pump in the tank run for a few seconds and then stop. If not it could be lack of fuel.
t3scn

Post by t3scn »

rory_perrett wrote:If you turn the ignition to position 2 can you hear the lift pump in the tank run for a few seconds and then stop. If not it could be lack of fuel.
Only when it starts, this is how I know that the key worked and of cause the car starts :lol:

When it won't start the pump doesn't prime the engine. Thats what leads me to think it's to do with the key/immobiliser.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Jim,

S2 Ignition barrels ARE NO different to any ordinary ignition barrel systems.. in fact, the "Sensor" for the key is SIMPLY attached to the SIDE of the ignition barrel and thus the igniton barrel is a completey standard item..

If you remove the steering colum cowlings, POSSIBLE WITH steering wheel on in S2 cars, you will see the Key pickup sensor attached to the barrel, and they simply come away from the barrel...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ah ha, thanks Paul, never realised that :D

Should have done, after just dissecting an S2 car :roll:
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Not nessecerally Jim,

If you removed the steering colum complete, you wouldn't have taken any notice... :wink:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
t3scn

Post by t3scn »

Thank you everyone for your advice, the car seems to be working fine again \:D/