c5 hdi coolant leak maybe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay. Booked into a garage.

Have no idea regarding reputation. I got it off of the Bosch website as a Bosch garage, so I assume (that's a BAD wrod)that there must be some competency.

The thing is, they are able to repair at a price that I can afford so it is a case of submit in hope.

The guy did seem to confident in what he was saying straight away re skimming, what was needed etc.

Anyway he is significantly better priced than elsewhere. I will let you know how it goes.

He is going to send the parts off for skimming regardless and will need the car for the best past of a week.

The garage is along way away from me and out in a peerie town (Small) which most English readers would call a village.

I will be spending an additional 150 this wek for train and buses and the 5am wakeup will be 4.30am wakeup, 5am leaving and 7pm return. ZZzzz

Fingers crossed they know what they are doing (Headgasket, cam belt and water pump) and let's hope that is all it needs but knowing my luck...
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

UPDATE:

Still haven't got car back. That's a week. (Costing a lot for travel £30 a day, and I am being late to work due to crap train times)

Anyway the head was sent away, skimmed and pressure tested. Cam back okay. He said there was no real evidence of it leaking but it is hard to tell.

He did say there was evidence of the pump leaking but only a small leak.

Bit worried that I got the wrong thing done then.

However.

It was loosing 2 litres of coolant a day.

It was pressurising the system

I had tiny bubbles frothing at the end in the coolant tank.

So that hints at head gasket.

If not what else could be losing me that much coolant without evidence of it on the road outside?
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

the metal multilayer head gaskets can make it difficult to see the leak on the head and gasket once you have them apart, so its likely that it had blown and you just couldnt see it

I wouldnt worry about it, just put it back together and see how it runs
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

OKay picked up car today. A week and a half it took.

All in New Headgasket, skim, cambelt and water pump was quoted at £736.

Cylinderhead showed no sings of failure and was sent off for pressure test, came back okay £86.

Put back together and it cost £868 (he put added cost on for replacement oil).

Bummer this as I had 5 litres of synthetic oil in the cars boot.

Drove off, warning light came on for low coolant. They topped with water and said it was probably settling in after bleeding.

Seemed okay on way home. Long drive to Aberdeen and back will be true test. Kakking it really.

Just hope this is the end of problems.

One question. The car has had fully synthetic. He put in Dukhams in. is this not mineral and should they be mixed?
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Depends which flavour of Duckam's he used - they do synthetics too. It's all Esso oil anyway now :(

Shouldn't "settle In" after bleeding - bleeding is what settles it in! Perhaps wasn't fully bled, can take some doing sometimes. Presume the thermostat was replaced while they were on with the job?

Fingers crossed that that is the end of your problems - but if you suspect a matrix leak it would be wise to chuck some more Forte Stop Leak or equivalent in there.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thermostat was replaced. They used the old o-ring as I got the new one (Which should have been on the new thermostat I bought) in a large box when the car was in the garage. The garage was way out in the country so they used the existing seal.

Anyway he said they had a task in bleeding the system so they had a bother with it.

Will look on receipt re: oil type. Think it just said Dukhams and the rating.

Hoping it will all be well.

Want to get skiing as the snow here is stunningly good this year for the Skis. Best in Europe. Car=Glen Shee.

Not been for years.

Let you know how I get on tomorrow. but one thing they said was that there was a tiny sign of leaking around the water pump but not serious (Thats replaced) and without any other signs you have to wonder where the 25 litres of coolant I poured into the baby in the last few weeks went ( I have 5 empty coolant containers in the boot!!!). IF a matrix leak my feet would be ankle deep in the stuff surely.

Will use Forte though as Wynns was ineffective.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

IF a matrix leak my feet would be ankle deep in the stuff surely.
Certainly would and the car would stink too.

Might be as well to ask what the Duckham's was although it should be OK if you change it reasonably soon.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Can't believe this. Is this a disaster?

Post by boristhespie »

Drove up to Aberdeen. Had a quick look an the reservoir is black inside and it is engine oil.

Could this just be left over from having the head done. Just a little escaped oil or should this simply not happen? it's not a film but blobs.

What should I do as a matter of urgency.

Really worried. Have to have car and have no cash left.
C'est pas possible!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It could just be that some oily substance got into the waterways during the rebuild.

If there are no other symptoms, blot up the oil with a paper towel or similar, and see if it is a recurring problem.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Will try that. Any other way of getting into the reservoir is has an fixed insert with only slots so I can really get to oil.
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

went to garage who said oil may have been fom rebuild however whe he took the cap off reservoir coolant spewed out. this was after 40 miles driving at 70. is this normal.

likewise i asume the head went due to faulty thermo should i watch for anything else just incase to prevent head blowing again.

oh and how to get oil out easily.
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

Its not sounding good from what you have said, but more driving and time will tell, but i have a feeling that your problems arent over unfortunatly

the best way to get the oil out is to float it out, simply fill the header tank till it overflows and it will be the oil that comes out first, then get yourself a 99p turkeybaster from tescos to suck the coolant out till its at the correct level
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

if my problems arent over do i have comeback with garage given that they have been pai to rectify it?
C'est pas possible!
TopDonkey
My Cars:

Post by TopDonkey »

It depends if you asked them to replace the head gasket, or to diagnose and fix your car

If you asked them to do the head gasket and the problem is somewhere else, then no comeback as they did what you asked, but if you asked them to sort out the loss of coolant, then you do have some comeback
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Quick explanation before lots of questions. Grateful for any thoughts from the knowledgeable bunch you are. Even if you are fed up with my rigmaroll. :wink:

Okay asked them to replace head gasket, pump and do timing belt.

Never asked them to diagnose problem. Based it upon advice here and from other garages (inc dealer) who said it could be headgasket.

Propr to this the radiator remained cold even after running for a long time so took thermostat out and radiator heated. Changed thermostat and radiator is heated in total which I assume is normal operation????

The guy at the garage concerned said that if it was pressurising it would be head gasket.

Can't see what else it could be any thoughts on this as the radiator seems to be functioning normally and the thermostat has been replaced. What else could cause either too much heat (The guage remains in middle) or pressure????

All pipes after 65 miles, this morning are very hot as is radiator and pipe from radiator to reservoir.

I took cap off and some coolant came out. It is hot.

Could this be caused by overfill???? It is on or just above MAX

Does it pressurise after longish run at 70mph anyway????

The coolant heating up could be because of what????

The coolant pressurising could be because of what???? (It was escaping through reservoir cap)

And what could cause it to disappear where there is no leak????

Really deperate to avoid any problems. Can't really afford car to be be fixed again nor for me to lose it as I would not be able to continue job. So any advice would be welcome, especially in order :( to avoid head gasket blowing in total again. :(
C'est pas possible!