More MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

More MOT

Post by JohnD »

Took the last of our four cars for MOT yesterday. Before I left, I heard from the examiner that it's likely they're going to put the airbag system on the check list. Anybody heard about this?
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

no, but it certainly makes sense if they are checking it in terms of accidental activation.
Wonder that how affects cars that have Airbags, but which owners disable, plenty of people do this due to fear of airbag....ie 25mph accident will generally leave you a little shaken without an airbag, or a broken nose with an airbag.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I too heard that this is likely to happen in the near future from a friend who's an MOT tester. He also said the test would only be along the same lines as the ABS test - if the warning lamp functions correctly (ie comes on for 2 seconds at startup then remains off) then its a pass.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Wire the light in series with the ABS light?????????[}:)][:D][:o)][B)][:D][}:)]
Alan S [:o)][:o)]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It wouldn't be too hard to make a small circuit board that just illuminates the ABS, Airbag and ECU warning lamps for a few seconds when the key is turned. [;)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

But wouldn't it be comforting to know that your ABS brakes and Air bag will really work when you need them?
//NiSk
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

Hi,
I could be wrong but don't all MOT requirements only apply to the year that the rule was made and not retrospective? (thats why the brake test is so poor)
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Interwired</i>
Wonder that how affects cars that have Airbags, but which owners disable, plenty of people do this due to fear of airbag....ie 25mph accident will generally leave you a little shaken without an airbag, or a broken nose with an airbag.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In a 25mph accident the airbag should not deploy anyway.
One of the criteria for deployment is an impact at over 30mph.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Interwired</i>
In a 25mph accident the airbag should not deploy anyway.
One of the criteria for deployment is an impact at over 30mph.
Could be right in theory, but in practice, I knew a girl driving a Ford badged Mazda who hit a large pothole on the highway which in turn set off the airbag & caused her to run off the road. She was extremely lucky to walk away from it alive.
You kidding they (the authorities) didn't half keep a lid on that one [:0][B)]
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:D][:D] LOL [:D][:D]
Checking air-bags [?][?]
Does this compare to checking fuses and flas-bulbs, where it's needed to blow them off for testing of correct action [:o)][:o)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As the new rule was explained to me - If its fitted it must work. My ABS has always worked when the car has been presented for MOT and the check sheet has come back marked N/A - presumably on the basis that it was not compulsory on TD's. Now it will be checked along with really important things like rear window washers and wipers.
Jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Does anyone remember when the 1st gen Ford Mondeo came out ? There was a program saying they were being broken into ( despite strong locks ) by people taking a sledgehammer to the front of the car. Aparently the car was programmed to automatically unlock the doors when the airbag sensor detected a colision, this worked even with no keys in !!!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

When central locking first became commonplace in the 80's there were quite a few car you could get into this way. I remember Which? magazine reporting that you could get into a Fiat Regata just by kicking the bumper in a certain place !