Is there a foot break return spring on Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

Is there a foot break return spring on Xantia?

Post by dowen »

The break peddle on my xantia is about 300mm lower than the accelerator , in fact it is touching the break button! It is actually resting on the button. I have a feeling it is making the breaks drag on! But not only that, my foot sometimes hits the clutch, and or, both at once! a bit messy. Am I missing a spring? Regards, Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, that's how it should be. No return spring at all.

You'll find a black cylinder between the pedal pendant and the dosuer button. This may contain a spring and its function is to give some "conventional feel" to the pedal. Many people replace the spring witha short length of waterpipe to give the pedal the right "Citroen feel".

So no worries if the cylinder is touching. It's normal and won't cause the brakes to drag...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

300mm is rather a lot (nearly 1/3 of a metre :lol: ) so I presume you mean 30mm.

As Jim says it's normal for the plastic cylinder to touch the brake button, but if the pedal seems unusually low compared to the other two, I would pull the plastic cylinder out and check that someone has not done the brake pedal spring mod by just removing the spring... :roll:

To do so, lift the brake pedal as high as it will reasonably go with a moderate amount of force, grasp with your other hand the black plastic cylinder which will now be sticking out of the brake pedal arm at right angles, and wiggle it back and forth to pull it out of the arm. It will be a snug fit but it's not that difficult to get out.

Once you have it out disassemble it - begin by removing a split washer near the middle and the rest should be obvious. If it is unmodified, there will be a spring inside, if someone has done the brake pedal mod correctly there will be a piece of metal tubing instead.

If there is neither a spring or a piece of tubing, and the plastic unit is empty inside, you have found your low pedal problem...with either a spring or a piece of tubing, the plastic cylinder should be fully extended when at rest.

Fitting it back into the arm again is easy, just make sure it's around the right way (large diameter towards the pedal arm from memory, and just push/wiggle it back into place until it is flush against the arm.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive