Air-con Recirc Vent

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Air-con Recirc Vent

Post by RichG »

Whilst on holiday last week in the Lake District Halfords in Kendal were selling Wynn's Airco Fresh for £4.50 instead of £9.99. As the air-con on my Xantia 1.9TD Estate 1998 had been smelling a bit recently I thought that I would give it a go (I actually bought 2 cans!).
The instructions say to set the fan to max, temperature to cold, air-con off and vents to recirculation. So far so good.
It then says to spray the contents of the can into the internal air inlet. The question is:
'Where is the Internal Air Inlet Vent on a Xantia?'
The Citroen Handbook does not mention it neither does the Haynes manual. Does anybody know where this vent is?
Thanks
Richard
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

Isn't that the inlet just under the windscreen (under the bonnet) at the passengers side? I don't think there are any other inlets for air anyway!
Cheers,
John
Xantia 1.8i (with airco), 1997, 86k miles
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

That is the inlet for air normally which draws air from the outside.
When on re-circ this inlet is closed and the air in the car is recirculated by drawing it into another inlet inside the car, through the Evaporator/Heater, and back into the cabin. It is this interior inlet that I am looking for.
Richard
Paxman Power
My Cars:

Post by Paxman Power »

Where does the cabin filter sit in relation to everything else? Does it filter just the fresh air, or recirculated air too?
You could try running the fan at full tilt then moving the fresh/recirculated air control from one extreme to the other. This creates more noise at N/S footwell on recirc mode so the air intake is presumably in this area - and close to the cabin filter. Try and determine exactly where the noise comes from.
My first thought was that spraying the stuff into the cabin filter housing with the filter removed and all the controls set as previously described would be enough to get it into the required spot.
Cabin filter is located in N/S footwell area on side of heater.
Check that cabin filter is sookin' and not blawin' mind!
Regards,
Paxman Power
Xantia 1.9TD (with smelly aircon - so keen to find out if this stuff actually works - let me know!), 1997, 56K.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

It looks like it will have to be a 'suck it an see' job as you suggest Paxman as nobody appears to have the definative answer. It will have to wait now until next weekend, weather permitting, but I will post the results when I have done the job.
Richard