2 little known features of Xantia's , I think !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

So much for that theory then :(
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I fitted cruise on my Seat TDi from scratch, they did not come with cruise control in any country, however i was able to fit it. I put new wires into the ECU, found a power source etc. I even fitted a VW cruise stalk from another VW model. Though obviously some of the parts used on the car must have been from other cars which were available with cruise. For example it had a switch on the clutch pedal and the ECU supported cruise control.

If some Xantias have it then surely there is a way of fitting it to the ones which dont?

Yes Steve, C5s are easy to fit, take it to a dealer and part with around £200, job done! Or if you have access to a Lexia then im sure its easy to do yourself. Our SX C5 has had it fitted by the dealer, the 05 VTR comes standard with it and id like it fitting on my 04 C5.

I do use it a lot on motorways, you can just set it at your desired speed and not have to watch your speed all of the time. Ive never had to change down a gear in the C5s yet, though at 70-80- you wouldnt have to. Does make long journeys much more relaxed, faster and sometimes more economical.

Though i couldnt live without it for motorway works and 50 zones with average speed cameras. There seems to be so many 50mph limits because of roadworks on motorways, some are miles and miles long. I just set it to 50 and i no longer have to think about it, you tend to pass everyone too, as they go from 45-50 without realising.

I found the way the cruise works on the facelift C5 odd at first, but ive got used to it. With that you have to set the speed on the display on the speedo, not press and hole until your desried speed. Slowing down and accelerating with cruise is another added bonus yep.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote: If anyone with a Xsara, Berlingo or C5 wants this mod done to their car I still have the cruise control stalk plus of course a Lexia to complete the job.
Richard, what does the cruise stalk look like, does it say on and off on the wheel switch or is it cruise and limiter? If its just on/off then it should be the right one for my car and i would be interested :D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:
DickieG wrote: If anyone with a Xsara, Berlingo or C5 wants this mod done to their car I still have the cruise control stalk plus of course a Lexia to complete the job.
Richard, what does the cruise stalk look like, does it say on and off on the wheel switch or is it cruise and limiter? If its just on/off then it should be the right one for my car and i would be interested :D
Its located at 7 o'clock behind the steering wheel with a on/off wheel running through it, on/off buttons top/bottom and accelerate/decellerate buttons on the back similar to the remote stereo stalk.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

The other Citroen that is easy to retrofit cruise to is the VSX 2.5 XM when you normally just need to add the dash switche and control lever.
The cruise routines are already present in the engine ECU so next engine start automatically enables them. In this case it is not due to multiplex wiring but because the engine has fly-by-wire. In theory the same system was possible on the later 2.1 with the Lucas f-b-w ECU but as with all other XM's when fitted cruise they got the earlier Vacuum version that gives so many problems.

John
Xmexclusive
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Yeah the Xantia HDI just has a TPP with a cable to the go pedal so it would need a servo motor or similar to make cruise work.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

DickieG wrote:Its located at 7 o'clock behind the steering wheel with a on/off wheel running through it, on/off buttons top/bottom and accelerate/decellerate buttons on the back similar to the remote stereo stalk.
I have a Rostra cruise control in mine also at 7 o'clock. It works perfect,
adjusting speed very very smoothly, hundreds of thousands of kilometers behind 8)
There was no uphill yet to cause any kind of difficulties.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's very easy to retrofit cruise onto a Xantia II. If the connector is under the glovebox rear tray for the cruise control unit, the other plugs are also around. To make it work on a manual car, you'd need a clutch switch of the NC type. Probably that off a 406 should do fine.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:It's very easy to retrofit cruise onto a Xantia II. If the connector is under the glovebox rear tray for the cruise control unit, the other plugs are also around. To make it work on a manual car, you'd need a clutch switch of the NC type. Probably that off a 406 should do fine.
Is it?

...in addition to the ECU, you'll need the vacuum controller and the bellows. That's for a petrol engine with a normal throttle cable operated butterfly. I believe only the 2.1TD and HDI are "fly by wire" to allow full electronic control of engine speed.

Against that, most petrol engines seem to have the hardware for mounting the bellows and connecting it to the throttle cable quadrant. Certainly the Activa 2.0CT engine has...

I've got cruise on my V6 but never yet got it working so it's going to be something new for me when I do...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd presume - having never seen one here - that the HDi motors have an intermediate cable. That would be where I'd look to connect the cruise bellows and pull cable.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The 2.1TD has Adam, down under the airbox. Can't recall if there is the ball on the quadrant for the bellows pushrod though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

addo wrote:I'd presume - having never seen one here - that the HDi motors have an intermediate cable. That would be where I'd look to connect the cruise bellows and pull cable.
They do , as I mentioned above.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You're set, then. I did my 16V; it was plug-and-play (save for some dry joints on the PCB).

Fitting the vacuum pump really requires either bumper off or NSF wheel removed and splashguard peeled back.