Diesel pumps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Diesel pumps

Post by sooty »

Here's a question for all you Diesel experts.
On a Lucas injector pump. Whats the short link/arm towards the rear of the pump for and what does it do.
Sooty [:)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

On the BX Rotodiesel/Lucas pumps it's either the manual stop lever(bottom lever) or part of the (cold start) fast idle assembly (top lever), if it's at the driven end of the pump (source: Haynes diesel manual for BX/Visa/C15 cos' it's raining outside...)
David
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

David,
No, its the short link from the main throttle lever to a small lever towards the rear right side of the pump with nylon ball joint ends. The manual stop and fast idle levers are to the left of the main throttle lever/cable connection.
P.S. forgot to tell you all, the pump is on a ZX TD.
Sooty [;)]
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Has this question been too hard for our members, with their great knowledge.
Sooty [:0]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Wasn't it you who asked this question last year sooty? we didn't know for sure then but some of us had a stab at it, I don't think its timing related because timing advancement is purely a function of engine speed, not throttle setting.
I think its to do with internal pump pressure but can't be sure, Iv'e got a lucas turbo pump knocking about and if it weren't a good'un I'd get in and have a butchers.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

From what I can se Sooty on the last thread you replaced the arm with a new one. What was it described as?
I can tell you its not related to the turbo as both our cars have them and one has a turbo and the other doesn't.
Jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Yes Dave, I did bring this question up last year.
Although I fitted one from another engine, ensuring that the length was the same by adjustment. Never really found out what it's purpose was. I wandered if it maybe something to do with either Fuel volume/pressure as you said or Timing as an early petrol engine would rely on throttle positioning with the ignition vacuum timing advance/retard.
Just curious to how critical its setting should be for its purpose.
Sooty