What is killing my New Battery?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

What is killing my New Battery?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

my xantia estate has been parked up now for about two weeks.

what could be drawing so much power that a reletively new battery goes flat within two weeks?

could this be the alarm or maybe the computer?
or is it just the really low temperatures we have had recently?

I charged the heavy duty battery when I bought it for three days.

thanks in advance

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Nigel,

I presume you have done all the checks on the charging circuit for faulty alt etc.

As something is draining your battery e.g faulty alt.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

In daily use the battery has been 100% reliable and the alternator seems to check out ok.

it must be the alarm /imobiliser or something else.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

You can't really guess these things, you need to hook up a suitable amp meter and pull fuses and disconnect things to isolate the current draw.

A seemingly good alternator can have enough reverse leakage to drain a battery.

Maybe a trickle charger or a little solar charger would be an easier solution?
deian

Post by deian »

one way to check as the car is now (off, but still draining) is to pull out the fuses and relays one by one in the engine compartment and interior, if you see a slight spark (indication of current) between one of them when you put the fuse back in then that would be a good place to start checking the particular circuit

if when you pull the fuses out you don't see sparks as such, then the current may be too low to notice any sparks but still be able to drain enough, in this case, put a voltage meter across the battery with the car off, if when fuly charged it should show something like 12 to 13 volts (only 14.4 with the engine running), whatever the reading is, make a note, now go pulling fuses out one by one and see if the voltage goes up when pulling a certain fuse, if it does then that is the culprit

i would guess relays can become stuck in this weather, making a connection thus draining a battery.

as for the battery, cold weather can really test any battery, if it's the type, check the water, but i would assume all should be ok if it's a new one

thats what i would do myself, hope it helps
falling-out-with-my-car

ok thanks will have a tinker when it warms up a bit, its freezing at the momenht as anyone would know if they were working on their car.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Almost impossible to diagnose without doing a check with a meter to see if there is any draw beyond a few 10's of milliamps with the engine off.
I doubt it's the alternator as it's electrically isolated from the battery at standstill unless the regulator is faulty , in which case it wouldn't charge properly.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Get yourself a multimeter that does volts and amps. Connect it across the battery with the engine running and you should have around 14 volts. If this is OK disconnect one battery terminal and connect the meter between the battery lead and terminal post, set to amps, if there is any more than say 100ma flowing you have a problem. Dont under any circumstances try starting the car with the meter connected on 'amps'

Peter
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The meter fuse would just pop :wink:
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

HDI wrote:The meter fuse would just pop :wink:
If you use the fused amp port, my meters have 10A and unfused ones too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

this sounds the same problem i had with our old Xantia we could not find a fault anywhere tried meter on battery etc.

the car would start in the morning but at lunchtime the battery was dead flat we could not take the car anywhere and ended up trading it in for the Xpic
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:In daily use the battery has been 100% reliable and the alternator seems to check out ok.

it must be the alarm /imobiliser or something else.
One shagged diode in the alternator could give you quite a high static current drain but still look good when th engine is running, suggest checking for current drain through the alternator feeder.

cachaciero
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

cachaciero wrote:
One shagged diode in the alternator could give you quite a high static current drain but still look good when th engine is running, suggest checking for current drain through the alternator feeder.
It doesn't even need a shagged diode. The diodes in alternators typically have a very loose leakage spec, and can leave the factory with several mA leakage per diode. I seem to recall that one make of alternator was not considered a warranty fault if the total leakage was less than 50mA :shock:
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Maybe it needs a little wine!

I hate these videos
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It shouldn't really matter about rectifier leakage at standstill as the regulator disconnects the alternator from the battery.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !