Should it stay or should it go?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Yes! They're actually a lot stronger than the XUD9 I believe,no mean feat! Overall Peter I must agree with you though,if absolute reliability is the key then it has to be the XUD,it's half the reason I'm buying the 405! Fixability,too is so much easier and cheaper. I got the Xantia cheap and I think I've just been lucky!

Cheers, Jon
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I like the 405, I think they are the best value for money car on the road, I have obtained several for friends and they all like them, you very rarely see a scruffy one do you, even the nearly 20 year old ones, they don't seem to get damaged, perhaps its because the visibility is good.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Only if you change the oil frequently I suspect.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Some 405 estates had hydraulic rear suspension did they not? Was it on the range topping 4x4 or something. I remember we used to look after a 405s spheres a long long time ago.

Peter, im surprised your not interested in 2.1TD Xantia estates as well? Or do they use a different fuel pump to the Xm 2.1 Bosch?

And no i dont remember seeing a very untidy one, i still see some around here, they must be very good cars to stick it out this long. I dont often see many BXs now, or even earlier Xantias.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I was under the impression that was air suspension, ok they had spheres but they also had a valve inside the rear wing that could be connected to an airline and the rear end could be stiffenned to carry heavy loads or for towing, I had an old vauxhal cavalier Mk1 estate that had air suspension and it to had spheres to store the presurised air.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Citroenmad wrote:Some 405 estates had hydraulic rear suspension did they not? Was it on the range topping 4x4 or something. I remember we used to look after a 405s spheres a long long time ago.

Peter, im surprised your not interested in 2.1TD Xantia estates as well? Or do they use a different fuel pump to the Xm 2.1 Bosch?

And no i dont remember seeing a very untidy one, i still see some around here, they must be very good cars to stick it out this long. I dont often see many BXs now, or even earlier Xantias.
alas the 2.1TD Xantias all came with the veg killing Lucas Epic(ly slow)
Conversion to a 1.9TD bosch pump is apparently possible though.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Only if you change the oil frequently I suspect.
I think the same applies to all diesels, I change mine every 5k.

Xantia is not big enough, if I'm going to have all the hassle of hydropnumatic suspension I want the maximum benifit from it :D Seats are not so good either.

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car

Peter,

I'm with you there on seats, I have already had to strip one down to the frame and have it welded, because the welds done at the factory were rubbish.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know what the standard VSX seats are made of but they just don't seem to wear out, I sold one at nearly 300,000 miles and the seats were near enough perfect - apart from being big and comfortable. I have a 190,000 black SX hatch and the seats in that literally look new, better even than the VSX.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've had a couple of 405s. Best Pug (after the 205) ever :D In 1.9D or TD form, absolutely 100% reliable and they go on nfor ever and ever. My old 1.9 GRD (NA) used to return a consistent 53mpg :D

It was the Mi16 4x4 with the hydropneumatic rear end. Mostly all gone now, weak transfer boxes (shared with the BX 4x4) and the attractiveness of the D6B engine for 205 Mi16 conversions saw them off as it did for many BX 16v GTis :twisted:

Xantia seats, with the very notable exception of Alcantara, lasts almost indefinitely and will take all kinds of abuse and still scrub up well. Leather seems almost indestructable too, save from sharp objects.

Xac, you really do seem to have a problem with the Lucas EPIC :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

On my Series II break, the rear seat springing has busted through the top foam and started to chafe its way through the cover material. Overall, the velour's nap is still pretty good. I'm planning to "skin" both fronts next week and launder the covers before reinstalling.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Xac, you really do seem to have a problem with the Lucas EPIC :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know I'm only teasing :D
Ok so it doesn't let the car use it's 110BHP in any fun way, but it does give (everyone but me it seems) good fuel economy ;)

When I was growing up, after dad had two 205 XRD's (one which he managed to sort of get away with doing 110mph in because the police couldn't believe a 205 D could go that fast - he was charged with exceeding the national speed limit instead). As my sister and I got older, the 205 was traded in for a 405 GRD estate which was lovely, and frankly the 205 and 405 estate were the last good looking cars Peugeot made (405 saloon is ok with a spoiler but doesn't look as good to me as the estate).
It's one of the reasons I went for a Xantia, to me it's the natural evolution of the 405 style.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There are quite a few 405 estates about down this way, I probably see at least two on a trip of a few miles. The best ones, or at least the ones with the most comfortable seats were the pre '95s. I ran a late one for about a year but had to change the seats, the hard side bolsters gave me a pain in the backside. I changed from an XM to something 'simpler' but soon changed back again, not because the 405 was a bad car but the XM was so much nicer. I could live with a 405 though.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Being serious, 405 drivers seem to smile more behind the wheel, than other motorists. Odd, but possibly they really enjoy driving.

(Yes, I do watch peoples' faces and look at the cars they're piloting!)

Between a 405 and a Xantia, I like the low-down torque of the 405, and it's nimbleness. However, I can push the Xantia harder into a corner if neither is desired to oversteer.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The 405 is somewhat lighter than the Xantia and the 1.9 engine is quite adequate, the Xantia really needs the 2.1. I think that the 405 is a very pleasant car to drive, that's probably they look happy. :D