Should it stay or should it go?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

Peter.N. wrote:The CX diesel engine of the '80s was by far the most refined of the time, I think Peugeot/Citroen diesels hav always been the market leaders - until now. The last all mechanical diesel you can get is in the Jan'96 reg 2.1 XMs, unfortunatly there are not many left now - I've got most of them :D

Peter
Greedy git you are Peter, if you ever sell one of your 2.1 XM's let me know.

I would love a CX too, i'm not keen on the looks (nor am i with the BX), but I would still own one just because they are cool and quirky. As long as I can find one that hasn't rusted itself to dust. A GTI 2 would be on my lottery win list!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I would really love a CX, i really like the looks, one of the best looking citroens in my opinion, one of my personal favourites for looks is an xm hatchback, really very nice in my eyes.

Looks like we will have to preserve these 2.1TDs then!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree, its just the durability and cost of maintenance that concern me. I spend very little on the XM's as any work required I do myself - that wouldn't apply to an HDi

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

personally if its looks your going by then I would love to own a DS 19

they are truly beautiful cars.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Another add on to the bill,

the rear height corrector seized just before Christmas and snapped the the height adjuster arm, it must have known it was headded for pleidies after Christmas, lets hope it doesnt get any more expensive this year.

I am just greatful to Auto Home recovery who took the car on a flatbed 30 odd miles to Martin, apparently the bill to go 30 miles would have cost me £280 + vat if I wasnt a member.

A friend asked the RAC to take his xantia estate to Pleidies and the distance was 5 miles less than above and they refused to do it. even though he had the response package.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's interesting about the RAC because when my wife wrote the XM off the AA refused to recover it, fortunatly my tame local mechanic picked it up for me. I asked the RAC if they recovered accident damaged vehicles and the chap waffled something obout they would and get the money from the insurance company, so I don't know whether to trust them or not, I have been with the AA for over 50 years, and now get 'free home start' which I never thought I would use until I hit a large stone on the track and tripped the fuel shut off device - which at the time I didn't know I had. :oops:

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RAC collected my first Xantia and took us home after an accident, was part of the service.
What most recovery places won't do is move a car they've already recovered to home or a garage on to another destination for free.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac,

Auto homes Homestart Plus does exactly that.

I had my xantia taken to a garage a couple of Christmas's back for some new serpentine belt pulleys, the mechanic had the car parked in his lot for over ten days and hadnt done the job.
because it was so close to Christmas I asked AutoHome to take it to a different garage and they willingly did.

My friend with the other xantia estate recieved a phone call the following Monday Mornning with an appolagy from the RAC apparently because he is disabled they should not have refused to transport the car.
Apparently he had asked them to move the car on a Friday night and he spoke to a driver and not the call centre staff, apparently the driver was about to go home, it all seems a bit strange to me, however I wouldn't want to be put through all of that mucking about in the first place.

it costs me a fiver more a year for the same package as RAC response with AutoHome except I dont get a hire car for two days if my car breaks down. they say no matter where you break down they will always take you home and not to the nearest Garage to repair your car. unlike the RAC. who would rather take your car to a garage than recover it to your home if you are more than 100 miles out.

The flatbed driver was telling me that he recently recovered someones car from Portsmouth to Scotland he drove from Northampton to Portsmouth recovered the car and came back to Northampton for the night and completed the rest of the journmey the following day.
now some would say surely it would be cheaper for the company to drop the car off at a main dealership, but the man wanted the car taken to his home, Now thats brilliant service.

regards Nigel.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's exactly my point, no way do I want my vehicle taken to a garage and the AA have always been very good there in the case of a breakdown and recovered the car to my home - even from several hundred miles.
falling-out-with-my-car

Peter,

thats great I might have a gander at there package prices and see if I can get the annual costs down a bit, I got collard by an RAC bloke outside Tesco's before Christmas but after my mate had so much hassle with them I didnt want to change just to save a fiver a year and get a free hire car when mine broke down.

Didnt think it was worth the hassle changin. really its what works best for you, its good to hear the AA dont dump your car at a main dealership so your pocket gets gutted in the process.

on the other hand Xac got lucky to by the sounds of it and the RAC took him home, maybe if like me you only use them when you really really need them they treat you nicely I should think calling them out to change a wheel really winds them up and unfortunaltely I know a few people who do such things. its embarrassing.

regards Nigel.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nigel

It might be a good idea to check that this is still their policy as my last breakdown was probably over five years ago when the crankshaft pully disintegrated, but the car had done about 250,000 miles! Mind you most garages on hearing its an XM probably wouldn't accept it. :D

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RAC always took me home whenever I had car trouble. No point taking the cars to a garage as I wouldn't have been able to pay their repair charges.
In south hampshire their recovery agents were Boarhunt Garage.
I ended up working for the AA, so got cover as an employee and haven't changed since (oh did have a stint with green flag, but they were useless) so I went back to the AA
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

ahha Boarhunt garage that sounds very familiar Xac, I'm sure ive been there once or twice when we lived in pompey.

Thus far the AA sounds like a good bet I shall do some comparissons on prices as i'm paying nearly 150 quid a year at the moment.

trouble is I need cover for trailers also. Mind you the run to Martins garage on Monday would have cost me much more than that.

regards nigel.
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

My HDi Xantia is approaching 200 000 miles now, 20 000 having been done by me,the engine, electronics and fuel system having been 100% reliable,just the usual suspension problems letting it down!

I still have a great affection for the XUD though,currently having a 205,xantia and soon to get a 405TD estate too!
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its nice to know that they can last that long!