Melted battery lead (Urgent)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Alternators on diesel or petrol engines will have the same max voltage output , 14.4 volts. It's the current output thats different , bigger engines and more accessories mean the alternator needs to have more current output capability.
Any variation of output voltage beyond say 0.5 volts means a faulty charging system.
Alternators should really be checked every 50 K miles for dirt build up , worn brushes , commutator etc. This would probably prevent failure in use. Rarely gets done though as alternators are their own worst enemy due to being so reliable.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
scoles

Post by scoles »

heres a picture of the regulator or what i assume is the regulator and the alternator.

If anyone could shed any light if this can be replaced seperately then that would be great.

Cheers
Stuart
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It's the top bit on the pic.
This is the one you want :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BOSCH-ALTERNA ... 45eb0a1833
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Your alternator part no is , 0 124 615 002
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
deian

Post by deian »

ooooh, £39.50 off ebay? Thats steep for half an alternator, maybe you'd be better off getting the whole unit? Just an idea. I thought they were changable, but whether it's worth the hassle is another thing.

It says made in great britain as well, a bosch item made outside of germany, thats gotta be rare right?
bxman
My Cars:

subject

Post by bxman »

OOPs
Sorry
I have about 4 different regulators all new thrown out by the AA not sure I have this one I will look in the next 20 mins if you do not hear back please accept my apologies.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Stuart

Thanks for posting those photos of the burnt out wiring.
It looks to be a very interesting example of a blown out battery connector.
The Citroen battery terminal crimps are not the best design and have a habit of going high resistance. Normally this only introduces a bit of voltage drop to cause odd starting and other electric problems. In your case with the serious altenator fault my guess is that it actually turned out to be the highest resistance bit of the circuit and acted as a large fuse. This saved the battery from exploding. It also probably saved the car from catching fire.

John
Xmexclusive
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

scoles, nice pics (=1000 words)

Your alternator'S (Voltage 12, Amperage 150) reference numbers are clearly seen.
BOSCH: 0124615002
CITROEN: 9621791480

I checked from www.woodauto.com but they don't have it in the stock at the moment. What about ebay.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

deian wrote:ooooh, £39.50 off ebay? Thats steep for half an alternator, maybe you'd be better off getting the whole unit? Just an idea. I thought they were changable, but whether it's worth the hassle is another thing.

It says made in great britain as well, a bosch item made outside of germany, thats gotta be rare right?
Most alt regs are replaceable , how easy is the question ! Most modern regs are easy though , I've done quite a few Bosch and they are a doddle.
You may find a reg cheaper than that , I just posted the ebay one to start you off !
Bosch have had manufacturing in the UK for years.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: subject

Post by myglaren »

bxman wrote:I am intrigued by the sugar like granules in the photo.
Are they small balls of copper?

It looks like a dry/loose/high resistance battery connection that could well have been sparking for some time. I suspect the intermittent loss of battery connection (capacitance) may have caused the regulator to short out whatever else no-one can say the alternator and it's belt were not up to the job.

If you post a photo of the regulator and PM me your address I will willingly send you one for the cost of the postage.

Off subject for a second can anyone explain why the second page of this post fits my screen while the first one does not.

Good Luck, Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone

Patrick

Assorted Xantia
Images were larger than the recommended 640x480 pixels which forces horizontal scrolling on the majority of displays.

Please guys, when uploading images to PhotoBucket, or any other host, use the "More Options" link and select either 640x480 or full size and post a thumbnail instead of a full image.
scoles

Re: subject

Post by scoles »

myglaren wrote:
bxman wrote:I am intrigued by the sugar like granules in the photo.
Are they small balls of copper?

It looks like a dry/loose/high resistance battery connection that could well have been sparking for some time. I suspect the intermittent loss of battery connection (capacitance) may have caused the regulator to short out whatever else no-one can say the alternator and it's belt were not up to the job.

If you post a photo of the regulator and PM me your address I will willingly send you one for the cost of the postage.

Off subject for a second can anyone explain why the second page of this post fits my screen while the first one does not.

Good Luck, Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone

Patrick

Assorted Xantia
Images were larger than the recommended 640x480 pixels which forces horizontal scrolling on the majority of displays.

Please guys, when uploading images to PhotoBucket, or any other host, use the "More Options" link and select either 640x480 or full size and post a thumbnail instead of a full image.
appologies was rushing about uploading :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Don't worry, it isn't a big deal.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Don't worry, it isn't a big deal.
If you use Opera, it has a button to resize over-large images in such instances...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
scoles

Post by scoles »

Well just going to get another alternator from someone on here.

Cant thank you lot enough, being fairly new to the french stuff and this forum and the amount of help i have had with this problem and my others.

by far the friendliest forum i have been on.

Cheers
Stuart
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Lets just say it was a factory in Wales
Your unit is from that factory :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6