Xantia Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

endaryano

Xantia Suspension

Post by endaryano »

I currently have a 97 td xantia. For the past 4 months the suspension is really stiff. ITS DRIVES LIKE A CAR THAT IS LOWERED AND HARDENED. I only own the car 6 months but the spheres were done oly 15k ago so im auuming its no them. Has any body got any idea what may be the cause and cure?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If the new sphere's are the correct one's and subsequent to fitting them the ride has not improved then a stiff ride must be due to the car riding at the wrong height, i.e. too high/low. With the engine running take a look at the gap between the wheel and wheel-arch then ask a friend to get into the car and whilst you observe the car, after compressing the suspension should rise again after say ten seconds. If it doesn't then its quite likely the plastic link has popped off a height corrector, a quick search on the forum will provide loads of info on this issue.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Do you have receipts to prove the fitting of these new spheres? Were they new or second hard? Geniune, GSF or cheapies?

New fluid might help and a good service of the height correctors would possibly be benificial too.

Though i agree with Richard, check the height and the operation of the self leveling.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Correct ride height can be approximated by looking under the car, the drive shafts should be level i.e. parralel with the road and the rear suspension arms likewise. If they are and the spheres are good, you should be able to bounce each corner 3"-6" if you cant then the spheres must be flat or the wrong type. A new set from GSF is not expensive.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If they are GSF ones, there WILL be a DATE of Gassing on them...

If the Plastic clip HAS popped off you then need to find out why! And its useually often then NOT due to SIEZED Levers that control the height controller...

Theres two of them, one has the clip attached to it, the other is attached to the Rod thats attached to the lever inside the car..

They do sieze up quite often, and often the clip pops off due to a WORN ball joint cup, OR it can even snap the anti roll bar clamp.. This all useually happens at the rear because the front one can often be well oiled by engine oil leaks :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto