Pump seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Pump seal

Post by lexi »

Changed out the larger pump seal on V6 today. This seal crosses over to many other vehicle pumps. I had a leak which drips nicely onto alternator.

Ring type Crows Feet and 3/8 ext bar are ideal for getting into this space. I undid the Cambelt cover. First off I drained the LHM tank with my sucker pump (glad I done this).

Crows feet and ext in place. The first union is 12 mm and the larger one 19 mm IIRC.

As it happened I had no seal....not a trace :shock: Maybe it disintegrated. Fitted the new seal and wiped the cam belt of small amout of Lhm......used a cloth with brake cleaner

The threads on the plug socket and the union were difficult and time consuming to get back on. I think they were bruised from a previous opening. Despite persevering with the usual alignment it took AGES to get these fine threads back on straight without cross threading. The larger one is pushing against the pressure of a spring so that didn`t help me. But taking the spring off for a trial run with nut alone didn`t prove much easier. Lack of space doesn`t help. If I hadn`t drained LHM it would have been everywhere.
This big Red thing helped no end.

Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

This is my next job, I got a bunch of seals, I only wanted one for the distribution block/accumulator end of the return hose, and they are not quite what I expected a small section of rubber tubed is what it looks like. If it is the right thing I would like to try and fit one to the top end of the pump, though I don't have a fancy suction device like that I was just going to depressurise it and try and replace it.
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done lexi :D Crow's feet are excellent for those jobs aren't they!

The threads on the unions are a bit of a devil. I find it best to undo the "P" clips all the way across right to the accumulator block so the pipes are floppy and then you can hold the pipe at the right angles to screw the pump union in by hand. You know then the pipe is not under any strain at the pump end and more vitally, it's not cross-threaded.

Citro: The seal on the accumulator block is a metal ring on the 6.5mm feed pipe from the pump. It usually stays inside the block if you disconnect the pipe. The smaller rubber tubular seal is for the 4.5mm pipe on the outlet side.

The pump end of the feed pipe is a normal flare with no seals at all. Follow the idea above and then when the union is in hand-tight, jut nip it up a tad more with a spanner. No need for heroics, just tight enough so it does not leak.

If the flare has been over-tightened at any time (thus squashed) and it still leaks, a new pipe is the only answer. Have a natter with Pleiades...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

I'm confused, so there has never been a seal on the pump end, it just needs tightening, is there a torque setting for this?

I have had problems before with the plastic return from the accumulator block. On the new replacement pipe there was a metal ring bonded to a rubber compression type seal on the nozzle part, the metal ring right up against the tightening nut. Its bonded to the pipe and apparently not availabe on its own, so now I also have a set of these rubber sections of pipe they call seals from my first visit, and fitted a whole new pipe with seal instead.
The metal ring you describe sounds like the part bonded to the pipe.
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
If the flare has been over-tightened at any time (thus squashed) and it still leaks, a new pipe is the only answer. Have a natter with Pleiades...

This happened to my ole girl, TD, but not straight away! It took about 3k before the union decided to spew LHM all over the place every time the pump kicked in...

Got another two spare feed pipes in the boot on the ready incase it happens again while im out..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I'm confused, so there has never been a seal on the pump end, it just needs tightening, is there a torque setting for this
?

I`m glad this is bumped up again. There is a seal of course on the 19mm plug/union. I`ve peeled it down so it can be seen. Mine was worn in flush to the recessed machined ring in the plug.....hence my leak and me thinking it wasn`t there. You can see I've peeled the ring back here.

Dealer only and Cit. part no. is. 4026.88 and minimum quantity of 5. Torque setting.....reasonably tight :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The threads on the unions are a bit of a devil. I find it best to undo the "P" clips all the way across right to the accumulator block so the pipes are floppy and then you can hold the pipe at the right angles to screw the pump union in by hand. You know then the pipe is not under any strain at the pump end and more vitally, it's not cross-threaded
Discovered that trick.....second time around :lol:

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2