help needed, lhm leak!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan23ipswich

Post by dan23ipswich »

hey all, now looking at the car, where is the bleed screw on the gearbox as been mentioned? i cant find it. cheers.dan.
1998 1.9 TD, Sensation
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Its not on the gearbox itself, you need to find the UNIT WITH A GREEN SPHERE ATTACHED TO IT thats BOLTED to the FRONT of the gearbox, behind the rad, under the intercooler pipes...

On the FRONT FACEING the rad there will be a 12mm nut...

IF theres no under tray, and you HAVE A JACK AND AXLE STAND you can also see a bit easyer from under the front!

BUT DO NOT GO UNDER WITHOUT AN AXLE STAND UNDER THE FRONT SUBFRAME!!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

4th picture down on this link!!
http://www.shanescitshed.com/xantia/xantiaspheres.htm

personally dan, i wouldn't do this whole bleeding thing if you aren't certain you know what you are looking for. The idea of it is easy and if you know what you are looking for and you are using the right technique it would take seconds to do.

I have a 1.9td too and this 'item' you are lookin for that has the 12mm bolt on it is under a few pipes and is not the easiest thing to find if you just open the bonnet and look down, it does need to be looked for!

This item is a 'regulator' block with pipes going in and out of it and a green sphere screwed onto it.

Next to the 12mm there will be another nut of similar size (13mm maybe), but there is only one 12mm nut. Don't open it too much, and don't over tighten it when you close it up (there is a brass ball bearing behind the nut)

Upon opening the nut you may well hear some hissing coming out of it!

So again, you are looking for a grey block with pipes coming off it with a green sphere attached. this block is located between the gearbox and to the bottom right hand side of the radiator.

It is low down, so may be easier to do it from underneath, but the car will be low if you are bleeding/depressuring so going underneath isn't a good idea, plus it's always handy to get into the habit of doing what you can regarding the suspension without going under the car, thankfully this nut job is one of the those jobs where you can do it looking down from the bonet.

Good luck.
dan23ipswich

Post by dan23ipswich »

thanks for all your help so far guys. i didnt manage to find it the other day but now after reading the last 2 posts im sure i will, i took some lhm fluid out of the tank as it boiled over the top of the reservoir tank and all over the concrete, funnily enough the power steering brakes and suspension worked fine after that, but day after when the engine was cold the same problems occured, no power steering, very bumpy and brakes seemed very spongy, its surely just air in the system as when its been run for a little while these all come back fine. what are your thoughts? cheers for your patience, Dan.
1998 1.9 TD, Sensation
dan23ipswich

Post by dan23ipswich »

anyone?
1998 1.9 TD, Sensation
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Dan

Have a look at this thread and familiarise yourself with the bits and bobs in your engine bay compared to the one in the tread.
A bit concerned about your description of LHM boiling out doesnt seem to make much sense :?
If it helps will take and post some pics of my TD engine bay and the pipes/parts that Dei and Paul are talking about

Colin
dan23ipswich

Post by dan23ipswich »

lol sorry if i described it wrong, it didnt boil out and wasnt hot, basically i left the car running for ages, lhm fluid came out of the top tank lid and it was all bubbly, once this happened i cleaned it up and tried the car and everything was working great, but then the car got cold and i tried again and it was bumpy and no pas again.
1998 1.9 TD, Sensation
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Looks as though it is sucking air in from somewhere.
dan23ipswich

Post by dan23ipswich »

hey all, thanks for your help, the car is now running great, i found the bleed screw and there was a lot of air in it, the stop light came on the dash and left it running for a while, turned the engine off done the bleed screw back up and its now running fine, took it for a nice long drive and no bad symptoms of before, lhm is now on the right level too, why it was coming out the reservoir tank before was because it was over filled by the previous owner, once again, Thanks for all your help. Dan.
1998 1.9 TD, Sensation