Winter Driving Advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Winter Driving Advice

Post by Old-Guy »

Without wishing to preach to the converted, may offer some advice to those with little experience of real winter driving: -

Put a bag of grit/salt mix and a proper steel shovel (not one of those stupid plastic things that break) in the boot. Several rubble bags too for grit, the wet/salty/rusty shovel, snowy boots. An old towel isn't a bad idea either.

Choose routes that avoid (steep) hills as much as possible and that keep your options open. Although the Highways Agency gives priority to motorways - stay off them, it's too easy to get trapped.

I'd add to the official advice on warm clothing etc. that a 'fleece' blanket has the best warmth-for-weight and stays dry as it's water repellent.

Tyres will make the most of the available grip if they aren't allowed to slip at all - the basis on which ABS works. Spinning the driven wheels just fills the treads with snow, turning them into slicks and polishing the 'road' surface.

Drive with the utmost smoothness and delicacy to give the wheels the best chance of keeping their grip. Stay in as high a gear as possible - where you can, start in 2nd and slip the clutch. Use minimal throttle. Hang back and anticipate so that you avoid coming to a stop. Plan not to use the brakes - they won't have much effect and ABS doesn't work properly in very slippery conditions.

If you get stuck, spinning the wheels (in frustration) only makes matters worse. Get out and put something (grit, sand, twigs) under the wheels to give some grip.

I can afford to be smug at the moment; so far we've only had a slight dusting of snow :lol: but just in case, I'm off to the grit bin at the end of the lane as soon as I've found the shovel!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

You won't be zooming up and down Rushmire hill for a while, then Old-Guy?
:D
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

No, but then I don't often go that way. :lol:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I would also suggest keeping a torch in the car. Also , there is a little trick for getting traction on the driven wheels , if nature allows , urinate on the tyres :lol: Urine has a lower freezing point than water and can allow just enough traction to get going , I know , I've tried it !! Some countries use Urea instead of salt on the roads in winter , doesn't cause corrosion , is much kinder to the roads and doesn't pollute the water table.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
colinxm
My Cars:

Post by colinxm »

I've just put a nice, new set of "Nokian" studded tyres on my xm heh heh heh :)

Colin.P
1995 Cit XM 2,1 TD Silver Estate
2004 Pug 307 SW
1989 Pug 205 Cabriolet
1998 Ford Puma
1979 Triumph TR7
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hey Old Guy, nice bit of sound advice there. Chapeau!!

I would add a pair of decent waterproof boots, in case you have to walk and two old bits of carpet, wider than the tyres and about the length of the car. They can act as snow mats to get you out of a predicament.

If you are going on a longish journey, a flask with a warm drink.

We've had ten inches here today, in old snow, same predicted for tomorrow.
:shock:

Handyman
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Interesting about the urea solution. :lol: Stopping midstream to get all the tyres in, would be a challenge for many!

Wouldn't mind some frozen road playtime at a point in the future - however it would likely need to be overseas. Born and bred Australians have really no idea about this sort of stuff (myself included); perhaps we would make good entertainment in the eyes of locals elsewhere!

I have a deep fear of cold; the coldest parts of earth will kill you a lot faster than the hottest regions.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Dare I say a bottle could be kept in the car , to fill up as required so that .............. er , well , u get the idea :lol: Yeah , cold is a bitch , but it does kill off alot of pests and vermin. Looks like this winter will be cold enough for that this year.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !