Accumulator sphere question ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Looks like I'll be making up a test gauge then !! Pretty sure I have a 4000 PSI gauge somewhere , will just need a hose and adaptor making up.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I can't help thinking that if you're running the car with just two litres of LHM then you must be in danger of creating a couple of faults such as the suspension becoming isolated/low on pressure due to the lack of fluid which may explain the occasional firm ride at the rear, (the only other causes of a firm rear ride can be flat sphere's, low ride height/sticky corrector/plastic link popped off).

Low fluid level firstly causes the suspension to be isolated, then the steering followed by the brakes (not so much isolated but failing to operate).

A pressure test of the regulator would appear to be a sensible course of action as Martin pointed out in your previous thread.

Have you tried the simple accumulator pressure test of turning off the engine then sitting on the boot lip to see whether the height rises after a few seconds?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The rear suspension issue was before my decision to use a lower LHM level.
It should be fine as the warning light doesn't come on. The test for accumulator , I haven't done it exactly as you describe but I have taken a heavy load out of the boot with the engine off and it does rise within a few seconds.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

HDI wrote:The rear suspension issue was before my decision to use a lower LHM level.
It should be fine as the warning light doesn't come on. The test for accumulator , I haven't done it exactly as you describe but I have taken a heavy load out of the boot with the engine off and it does rise within a few seconds.
The accumulator test is done by adding weight rather than removing as the accumulator should be able to provide a reserve of pressure to level the suspension, removing weight tests the height corrector.

I wouldn't reply upon the LHM level light or the float as they do stick at times. If it was my car I'd try putting in at least 4 litres of LHM (the capacity is about 4 1/2 litres) and then start looking further as you're in danger of overlooking the basic check and spending a lot more than another two litres of LHM will cost you.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Fleabay had some dirt cheap 200 Bar gauges the other day - in the US, mind. You'd just need a steel adapter pipe with ¼" NPT female on the other end.

I've got either pump or reg issues; a new reg is $750 here and I'm disinclined to use the local repairers. Does anyone have a link to the webpage where the fellow guts a reg, and talks about rebuilding it?

Thanks, Adam.