fulda tyres?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunthesheep
My Cars:

fulda tyres?

Post by shaunthesheep »

has anyone ever heard of the above tyre brand?, as for my xantia i can get 5 tyres (yes 4 + spare) for under £200.00.
but before i buy these i was wondering if anyone else has heard of or tried these out.
have found the suppliers website http://www.fulda.com but i can't read german.[:o)]
dom
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Fulda have been around for many years. Never had any.
jeremy
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

I'd ring round a bit more - it seems that Tyre prices have never been so cheap.
I don't know what size tyres your Xantia takes, but I recently got a pair of 205/60x15 Goodyear NCT5s for just over £56 each (vat, balance, valve, fitting, the lot).
Unless your tyres are a very expensive size, I reckon you could get close to £40 each for a "Proper" (e.g. well known) brand - especially if you're buying 5. Being flexible about which brand helps, too.
And this is personal opinion, but I'd never put anything except Michelins on the back of a Citroën, anyway - no matter how cheap the alternative. However, they aren't easy to find cheap, in my experience.
Jim.
sv4195
My Cars:

Post by sv4195 »

Shaun I'm sure I replied on Xantia-L @ yahoo but it doesn't seem to be there. Anyway, I thought Fulda were known for grippy tyres.
Fulda *** Carat Attiro
185/65 R15 88H
With http://www.mytyres.net/start.htmlonly £ 38,40
Prices includes postage, packing and VAT within mainland UK.
PS I dont work for them
PPS There are cheaper tyres if thats what you want
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Dom,
I just had a scan through that site & I would suspect that this company whilst possibly as stated, an old German Company, that it has all the signs of now being owned, controlled or combined with "Bridgestone;" the "Black Cat" and logo are very Bridgestone.
They in turn took over or merged with Firestone and Firestone tyres are fairly cheap in Oz. They also have very similar tread patterns to those which are old fashioned by todays standards. The excuse Bridgestone dealers use is that where theparent company has spent big bucks on R & D, Firestone just soldiered on using a successful pattern that eventually was passed by time & technology.
My experience of Firestones with similar pattern is that they were quite good on dirt, wore well & looked good.
They were however, extremely noisy on bitumen surfaces, subject to wheel wobble & did not handle wet roads at all. One of the biggest thrills I've had for a while was when I had a Mazda 8 seater MPV get at right angles to the gutter on a slightly damp road at about 50KPH whilst fitted with Firestones. Being a bit hard walled, assuming they are the same as Firestones, I think you'd find them a bit uncomfortable & noisy on a Cit.
Alan S
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

I have used them on a Volvo T5 Est with no problems. There is alot of rubbish said/written about tyres. Some people only use brand X etc. Fact is that tyres are so much better now than they were years ago, a bit like cars, and it is hard to find a really bad one.
Look here http://www.mytyres.net/start.html for some test results and prices and dont listen to those who will only use brand X on a low powered car like any Citroen is.
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

Fulda tyres, medium level tyre, nothing special similar to Marshalls and probably slightly worse than Avons.
As has been covered that price is expensive, a friend in london picked up Pirelli P6000's for just under £50 a tyre.
Worth considering[:)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

I used them (think they were Fulda Y2000 or something) 195/50/15's and the wet/dry grip was good, but they wore down quite quick.
P6000's are a better bet for the money I reckon, I've had them on a couple of my ZX's.
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

Yep, I can vouch for P6000's also, good allround performance tyre, and seen them for as low as £40 a tyre on typical 195/55/15 (although they cost me £110 each on 225/55/16).
Recently changed to Goodyear F1's on the front, slightly more road noise not noticed any grip differences, although car is RWD so fronts not being pushed as hard as back.
Fulda not as well known, but one thing to remember is that each manufacturer makes a range of different tyres. Cant really compare Brand for Brand when the most expensive Fulda tyre, will be better than the least expensive michelin, bridgestone, pirelli...etc
David
91 535i Sport
87 VW Golf Gti
89 Citroen AX GT
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

have looked on various sites for prices for the p6000's, but cna find any???? does anybody now of any links to sites???
cheers
dom
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I bought 2 Michelin Energy in 185/65/14 T rated for under £40 a piece fitted and balanced yesterday. It feels a lot more stable at the back now, compared to Dunlop SP Sport 200E's that were on there.
xxx
My Cars:

Post by xxx »

Dunno if this helps, but Fulda are owned by Goodyear - have been so since 1961
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

having just checked on pirelli's website for the p6000, have found out that they don't do them in the size i'm after (175/70 r14 84t), so it looks like it could well be the fulda's after all [:(][:(]
but then i suppose £40 each for fulda's don't sound that bad.
dom
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

well now have got fuldas tyres on, so far so good, but now got another problem:-
drifting to the middle of the road, have had the wheel aliment checked then adjusted, have checked the tyre pressares & have checked the tyres themselves for defects.[:(]
now i'm at a lost, anyone got any ideas?????[:(]
dom
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

dom,
I can't remember which model car you have, but I found with "Directional" front tyres on my BX 16V that under hard accelleration it tends to do the same. It is what is called "Torque steering" and I've been told that it's the price we pay for having front wheel drive cars fitted with tyres with certain road holding characteristics that tend to "react" this way to certain tyre patterns.
I have Falken directional tyres on mine that are an absolutely brilliant riding & handling tyre. At first it used to concern me in case I was caught napping & ended up in the oncoming traffic. However after quite a few Klms in this car, it is one of those things that you taks for granted but always warn anyone else who might be going to drive the car, particularly someone a bit lead footed.
If it's not happening under accelleration & just in general driving, then start looking at wheel alignments, ball joints & steering couplings.
Alan S