Hard rear supension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't care what they look like as long as the ride is good - I would have crossplys if they still made them :D
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I have noticed my suspension getting a little harder than usual at the rear of my xantia estate well something broke today a U shaped metal arm that connects to a piecer of plastic that connects at one end to a metal swivel joint on the side of the rear accumulator.

I wonder if this metal arm is weakenning on your car and the height isnt what is should be making the rear end seem stiff???

sorry I am still waiting for the diffinative explanation to what this connector is called I think it might be a dog bone or maybe thts just the plastic clip, not the U shaped metal arm attached to it.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

If you have a look at this PDF file I think you'll find that your "U-shaped metal arm" is part of the rear roll-bar clamp (item 3), so you'll need to source a complete replacement clamp. You'll also need a new plastic (dog-bone) link. The PDF tells you how to change both.

The rear suspension is probably now stuck in HIGH - if not, don't touch the control lever until you are ready to do the repair.

Please support the car securely with axle stands on a level surface BEFORE getting underneath.

Probably the best thing to do is to put the suspension in HIGH, put axle stands under the rear jacking points, then lower the suspension - the front goes down, lifting the rear slightly higher.

The chances are that the source of your problem is that the rear height adjuster mechanism (external mechanical mechanism not the hydrualic valve) have become stiff or seized. So while you're under the car with the mechanism disconnected, clean off all the old grease and muck, de-rust and free-up, then generously lubricate with a spray-on water-proof grease - any motor factor (possibly even Halfrauds) will keep something suitable (as for door locks hinges etc.). Personally I use Wynn's White Grease.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

old guy,

thanks for that illustration it has been a big help, yes the steel arm does connect to the roll bar clamp I see it now, the diagram looks a little different, perhaps it is because it is exploded.

I am semi disabled so I wont be attempting it myself my reactions are not quick enough.

I shall contact Martin at Pleiades and ask him to repair it if he will.

thanks again. regards Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

ok so im certain that i need to change the accumulator sphere now its contantly ticking/straining...to my understanding this controls some of the pressure around the car so it might have an impact on the overall ride of the car [-o<
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its certainly a good idea to change it but I will be surprised if it makes any difference to the suspension, if there is enough pressure to get it to the correct height - there's enough pressure. I still reckon its your tyres.

Peter
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Hi peter ,i changed the accumulator and the car sounds alot healthier now :lol: and the rear seems to be gettin even harder :roll: i can push down a little maybe 2-3 inches max and it feels like the suspension is bottoming out after very little travel ,compared to my other xantia it is definately not right,with that car on or off i can push down easily and the car feels fine..i sorted the tyre pressures out also..but compared to previous xantias it has made no differance so my very last option is to buy 4 more new spheres and hope that this finally gets sorted :roll:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Dave

Assuming that the ride height is correct its got to be down to the spheres, there is nothing else that can that can restrict the movement. The sphere number doesn't say wether its hydractive or not on the online shop, if they are new spheres but the movement is restricted I can only conclude that they are the wrong ones.

If you still have the old ones, take one off and compare the size of the orifice, the hydractive ones are only about the size of a sewing needle the non hydractive should be considerably bigger.

Peter
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Heathrow is the national mail centre for online trading.

As i have suggested....they may have been boxed wrong. This bypasses any questions the advisor may have asked you. The right part may have been booked but either wrongly picked (all the AMTEX boxes look the same) or the wrong items in the right boxes if that makes sense.

Both types fit the vehicle as i have non hydractives running on the front of my hydractive model :wink:

Check the numbers first on the spheres :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I dont think i have much chance of getting a replacement product even if they were the wrong spheres 8-[ ,il have a look tommorow ,hopefully they are hydractive and thats the end of it :( i miss the comfort :cry:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

also vince how do you find the non-hydractives on the front ?Is there any signifigant differance?

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
falling-out-with-my-car

Peter.N. wrote:Its certainly a good idea to change it but I will be surprised if it makes any difference to the suspension, if there is enough pressure to get it to the correct height - there's enough pressure. I still reckon its your tyres.

Peter
I'm with you on this one Peter, I note this post was started around about the time when outside temps started dropping to well below zero, tyres get very hard in such temperatures and can have the effect of making the bumps in the road seem harsher on citroens, with hydraulic suspension.

I used to notice this quite a lot on my old BX quite a bit , we have had some very low temperatures lately and tyre pressures will also drop with the freezing cold temperatures they are exposed to.

lets face it they are not even warmming up/softenning as we drive in these conditions.

I wonder if used/part worn tyres are being used in this case if so check the manufacturing dates on the walls of the rear tyres, they might even be old stock, tyres now have a limited shelf life and have to be returned/replaced at regular intervals by the manufacturer.
as I understand it the interval of their life is quite short, I'm not to sure how long that is but it is short.