Xantia Ride Hide and Soft Front Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb0535

Xantia Ride Hide and Soft Front Suspension

Post by gjb0535 »

I recently took my Xantia (96) for its MOt. Although it passed the MOT tester remarked at the front suspension being very bouncy. It seems to drive ok, there are no fluid leaks and the suspension goes up and down ok with the internal lever. Although the car sits level the ride height on the std setting does appear to be higher than normal.
Any help would be appreciated.

1996 1.8SX Auto (anti sink)

P.S I was going to scrap the car when the rear calliper bolts sheared. I took advice from the posts I received and fitted longer bolts and nuts. the brakes seem to be ok and touch wood the callipers are not leaking. Thanks to all who gave me the advice.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though it needs new spheres, when were they last replaced?
gjb0535

Post by gjb0535 »

The spheres look old and rusty. The 2 front ones at suspension top have 2003 on them. Would it be advisable to replace all of them or just the 4 corners ?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes change the 4 corner ones, and the one on the engine on the regulator...

The anti sink ones wont actually affect the ride, but if the car sinks on first startup after a night sitting then you could possibly change it too..

Glad you kept her going!! Well worth it just for the matter of a bolt or two, if they are tight enough theres no reason for the caliper to leak. Did you loctite the nut on??

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gjb0535

Post by gjb0535 »

No, I used nyloc nuts and tighened them right up. I tried to get new calliper o rings but my local Citroen dealer would only entertain uoi of 100 so i used universal o rings and applied a small amount of sealer between the 2 faces of the callipers.

I have checked the right height using the same method as old guy and from the ground to the middle of the arch are as follows.

minimum 570 535
normal 655 680
intermediate 710 710
Maximum 720 710

Comparing mine to old guy would indicate my ride height at the rear on normal is too high. Mines is not an estate so dont know if that would make any difference or not. The front spheres were done in 2003 and it looks original spheres on the back.I might do the rears first and do the fronts later. The MOT tester was going to fail the front for being too soft, gladly he never.

With regards to the car I cant really complain. I got if for £90 and put discs and pads alround,cleaned and re painted all the hydraulic pipes give it a service and put in for mot. It failed on 2 bulbs an indicator lens and arb links which I did for £40. Compared to the rock hard suspension on my old Audi A4 it is really comfortable and doesnt aggitate my back as much as the Audi. I may even consider replacing tthe Audi with a C5 estate.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Going to fail the front for being too soft?! Oh dear!

If the ride height appears to be out don't go adjusting the antirollbar to height corrector links until the height corrector springy linkages have been taken off and given a good clean and this will significantly help the accuracy of the height correction.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair