suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hubcap

suspension

Post by hubcap »

Hi there,
After renewing the two back brake discs on my xantia sx 1.8 the back suspension does'nt rise, although the front rises as normal. I've tried going from minimun to maximum several times with the height adjuster lever, but it still refuses to rise at the rear. Could this fault be caused by air in the brake system? Cheers Hubcap
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

After the engine has been started, what lights are showing on the dashboard?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No - if the front is rising the pump is primed and air in the system will not prevent it rising. In fact the system is self bleeding (for the suspension - not the brakes).
Sounds like the rear height corrector has stuck.
just a thought - what is the age of this Xantia? - has it got a rear anti - sink sphere? If so have a look at some of the posts concerning these devices as I seem to remember someone had a car that would drop at the back and it was related to this device.
Jeremy
hubcap

Post by hubcap »

Hi thanks for the speedy replies, Its a 96 xantia and there are no light illuminated on the dash.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Not sure if this will work, but its simple and worth a try and made my Xantia come up after the guy had done the spheres.
All he did was start it, put the height lever on high and jack the back up slowly with a trolley jack. After a couple of touches of the jack mine sprung to life and has been fine for months.
Another thing to try could be to pump or press and hold the brake pedal and see if that helps it.
If it doesn't, the most likely explaination is you've disturbed the linkage to the rear anti roll bar and height corrector. This could have happened if you've put a jack under the height corrector and damaged it, or the linkage has broken or moved whilst removing the brake discs - possible if you had to knock hell out of them with a hammer to get them off.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Another thing you could try is to put the car into reverse and go backwards really quickly for a few yards. This has the effect of lifting the back end of the car up, and can sometimes free off a slightly sticking rear height corrector - just make sure theres nothing behind you :)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You did bleed the brakes after you'd finished did you? I have seen cases (not on Xantias) where the bleed screw was released to facilitate fitting of the new (thicker) discs. In the process, air has got into the system and caused problems. If not that & before barking knuckles & swearing loudly trying to get a jack under, simply set the car on High & shake the back end of the car. This will usually "wake up" the height corrector. If you had the system collapsed and had slackened the bleeder on the accumulator, the 12mm one, just check that you remembered to close it again [:0]
You wouldn't be the first one to have done that[:p]
It's also possible that the linkage to the rear H/C could have popped out during the job.
Alan S
hubcap

Post by hubcap »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, will try them out tomorrow. will keep you posted on my progress. cheers Hubcap.