feeling defeated

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peal
My Cars:

feeling defeated

Post by Peal »

I had posted part of this in the activa corner but more problems are coming to light.

Apart from the stresses of the physical kind to change a clutch all went well, then......

engine started cutting out, would restart then got worse and would not.
= lose of power to one of the twin injector relays (fuel pump).

Gear mech would disconnect trying to engage 5th gear
= bent cable end found and fixed today = sorted

linked power to the pump relay and success = running after a few miles/couple of days started cutting out again, sometimes recovering sometimes with jerks and a quality backfire (blown the back can off twice)
restarting is getting worse now.

Noticed today locking the car, the led flashes quicker and not staying perm on when deactivated.

Beginning to think either I have water contaminated petrol or over fueling to give the backfires, or in reality that I have an alarm fault that is causing everything?

Apart from the knackered clutch the only common fault previously was seeing the ABS light show, but cleared on a rolling restart, I believe a common thing.

I now am really suffering from french wiring headaches as I now beginning to get confused of what I've done and why is this not working to the drawing???

Any ideas please before this becomes an insurance claim.
HELP
Alan
97 Activa CT
deian

Post by deian »

Well weird electrical problems are usually caused by bad earths, hunt them down and check them all.

Ignition barrel can cause intermittent problems too.

Won't do any harm to go around with WD40 on the electrics either. Look for breaks and tears on plugs connectors and splices.

What condition is the battery and it's terminals?

Good luck.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If I remember rightly Mk1 alarm ecus are under the passenger seat carpet and prone to getting damp, especially if the matrix is a bit leaky.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I think the key here is the 'backfire' unburnt fuel is making it into the exhaust somehow, to do that one or more cylinders must not be firing, check your spark plugs, HT leads, coil pack and amplifier, if it was your fuel pump there would not be enough fuel and the engine would just cut out with no backfire at all.
Also dont drive it too buch in this state, raw fuel burning in the cat will kill it stone dead in no time.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Alan, sorry to hear all of your bother :(

Presumably all was fine before the clutch change? If so, you need to look at everything disturbed during that job and work backwards from there.

I'm sure this'll bring it to light.

Dei's thoughts on bad earths is a good place to start. Is the earth stud on the gearbox tight? Easily missed and this being loose can cause the most odd problems. Did you reconnect the oxygen sensor? Is the coolant temperature sensor connected?

Have you trapped and damaged a wiring loom somewhere in your work?

Are all inlet tract pipes reconnected? The symptoms are similar to those of a big air leak somewhere around the inlet manifold.

Careful logical checking of all that was disturbed will bring the problem to light.

Good luck on this and I look forward to hearing of a successful conclusion :D

Any more diagrams you need, just let me know...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peal
My Cars:

Post by Peal »

Thanks all for the ideas.

I very vaguely remember on me old LX it popped a fuse at work and gave a no start situation that may be the same fault. Old memories come back after a while, so I want to do a full fuse check and will need to restore the "fix" to normal.
I'm sure my "fix" is causing the overfueling and yes I'm leaving it at home till the weekend "games" time mainly as the back box is floating free and a bit loud for early morning workruns.

As for the fuse circuits ??
I have the early owners handbook
the first haynes book '93to 98
and some of CJ's diagrams

in some places I see differences and many individual systems don't seem to match the handbook so I can see fun ahead.

I will keep you all posted

Alan
97 Activa CT
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Ther's more than one earth onto the gearbox, normally the ecu has it's own earth(s) attached somewhere as well. If one of these is just touching, not tight it could give these symptons. (happened to me on a peugeot 306 once, I only spotted it 'cos it was getting dark and I saw a spark!)
Peal
My Cars:

Post by Peal »

Next stage

Full check of ALL the fuses done - pull and continuity perfect :D
Continuity check of relay line to earth, low resistance so circuits are intact,
Reconnected as normal in with the key code in and it fires up :? ran for 2 minutes then stops no more play. re-enters code, 0 button not good - lots of presses to "engage" - starts continues to run :D.

Turned the car round to put the back up on ramps to sort the blow from the exhaust after the last backfire (BIG) on Sunday. Seam split wide open almost full length. New can needed!

Engine still running, fetches spare keypad from the old LX. Changes and restarts perfectly even beeps at me?

Have since given the car some local exercise 4 trips round the block -

Perfect but Loud

Whether it was a faulty contact on a fuse or the keypad dying, (some of the buttons have been reluctant at times) I'm not sure, hopefully this is the end of this tale.
As for now I will have to stay slow and quiet in the mornings for the neighbours.

Regards
Alan
97 Activa CT
Peal
My Cars:

Post by Peal »

Electrically I believe it is now clear and is not the real fault as I've just given it some exercise (3 hours ago) but I'm still getting the fade outs and the backfire, it also decided not to return home again!
I'm still of the mind that water may well be in the tank as the problem gets worse with movement, so tomorrow it will be drain the tank time, if she comes home.

Alan
97 Activa CT
Peal
My Cars:

Post by Peal »

Latest update

Basically lost interest, the snow didn't help and still it's doing the fades and banging away.

Found a '01 C5 for a good price - new ticket, 3 months tax left and a basic service done.
Just needed a working car fast and there it was---
I think the only bad point is the front tyres don't match and they need a balance, the suspension electronics may be picking the vibration up.

So the Xant has to go, it's now more expensive than the boat!

Thanks all for the advise

Alan
97 Activa CT
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Sorry to hear your woes. What fate exactly is to befall the car now?
An enthusiast forum following here would be your best audience to
sell it rather than weigh it in? Try us with some details?

You never know - with the forum up and down many aren't looking in
who may even have the answer to your problem. Give the car a chance!

Andrew