C5 rear suspension strut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

viorelovidiu
My Cars:

Post by viorelovidiu »

myglaren wrote:Make sure it is the strut! They are designed to leak :)

What is far more likely is that the gaiter enclosing it is leaking.
The gaiter receives the leaking fluid and as it flexes pumps it back into the reservoir.

A new gaiter is around £12, a strut considerably more.
hi myglaren, can you pinpoint me exactly where is located this gaiter? inside hidraulic pump?

Yesterday I replaced right front telescope like I mentioned early in my thread and car is still sinkin down on front like before.

When I unplug return pipes and I opened the LDS reservoir i managed to unplug the sphere - at that moment LDS leakin would not stop anymore! It was dripping.... the telescope was extened at maximum so... lds was not comin from telescop so... i suspect that it was coming from pipe... could be that gaiter a problem? which is located as I suspect inside pump.

Also i dont know exactly which is the strut.... :oops:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3860/telescope.jpg
here is a schematic of a front suspension.... can you pinpoint which are the strut or even a picture with that gaiter :oops:

thank you so much for you patience.... that happening `cause of me trying to understand from my native language to english and information posted on citroen service

viorelovidiu
Citroen C5 2005 2.2 HDI 136cp Exclusive BVA
EX: Citroen C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138cp Exclusive
EX: Citroen C5 2005 2.0i 143cp SX
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The gaiter is on the strut and encloses the moving parts to protect them from dirt and corrosion. It also collects the leading fluid and returns it to the reservoir.

Similar but not quite the same as this:

The gaiter is the black rubber part. On the drawing you linked to it is #5 on the parts list.

Online pictures are rather sparse, I'll try and get one of my car.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Steve says its part 5 on you diagram, appart from that is a front strut not a rear, the photo Steve has added is a rear strut/ram (suspension unit ) with sphere still attatched,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Also it is a Xantia strut, not C5 but the principle is the same. The C5 rear is much longer and corrugated.
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

Thanks for the information Malcolm - I'll order the seals and have a go at rebuilding it - Don't understand the problem with the VIN no though

Regards

Richard
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy the VIN No. has chevrons in an oval in between the No.'s and letters at some point, i think thats what they mean by space's missing,

these sometimes look like zero's,

when i use my main dealer though he just asks for the last 6 or 8 digits of the VIN No.,

i did try that with no luck on this ocasion,

hope you match the right parts from the list's

regards malcolm