xantia 1.9 n/a running fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

transit ev

xantia 1.9 n/a running fault

Post by transit ev »

My 1996 1.9 non turbo diesel xantia has just started playing up, the engine is hard to start & when it does start it wont rev you can hold your foot flat on the floor & nothing happens then eventually it will rev & runs perfect above 1500rpm but as soon as you let the revs drop below this it will not rev again & runs realy lumpy. Has anyone out there had any simular problems if so how do you cure it, hope someone can help many thanks. P S the car has done 148,000 miles.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

ok to me sounds like fuel stavation/ diesel draining back to tank i.e air leak in fuel pipes)

it could be fuel filter or fuel strainer in tank,

fuel filter is in black canister (for lack of better word) on top of thermostat housing, with 4 bolts on the top of it,

fuel strainer is in tank to get to it take drivers side carpet up under back seat , there is an acess panel there take the cover off , undo the rotaing bit and the pipes and take it out and clean the strainer,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

My initial guess would be air leaking into the fuel. This can be hard to spot as sometimes the fuel pipes become porous but don't have apparent leaks. The joints round the had primer pump are also prone to leaking air as well (these can be bodged very effectively with zip-ties) When you're revving faster the flow of fuel will be high enough to block the air leaking in

New pipes are dead cheap and easy to replace so I'd start there. I'd change the leak off pipes at the same time as they could be introducing air as could the filter housing if it's not tight or seated.

Andy
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with the above. first change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently, if that doesn't cure it fit a length of clear plastic hose in the inlet pipe to the pump, you will then be able to see the air and whether what you have done has had any efferct.
transit ev

Post by transit ev »

Thanks for your help, i ran a pipe from acan of diesel straight to the pump bypassing the filter & pipes & still the same, im thinking there must be a fault with injector pump.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

transit did u check the strainer in the tank, mine clogged up, thats why i mentioned it,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it have a Bosch pump? if so check the injector leak off pipes.