V6 ECUs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

V6 ECUs

Post by lexi »

If the battery is disconnected on V6 for any length of time how does ecu reprogramme itself. My battery was out but all seems ok AFAIK.

Have heard people speak about taking it on motorway and maintaining certain revs/speed.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

dunno about citroens but fords you just go for a 10-20 mile drive and the ecu learns all the settings for all the sensors again altho you should take it for a run on dual carrageways and town roads so it can get the whole range of settings , ie flat out and idle and inbetween,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

On my Mk1 V6 I have not noticed any difference after battery removal. Maybe this ECU keeps the learned settings in non-volatile memory.

On the 8V 2 litre engine, the idle speed settings all got reset on battery removal. I would not worry about it.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

While we are on subject V6. The autobox sport ratios. When selected, the LED shows chosen selection. when in standard for a while or on starting out in morning the led is out. Is that the normal?

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

lexi wrote:While we are on subject V6. The autobox sport ratios. When selected, the LED shows chosen selection. when in standard for a while or on starting out in morning the led is out. Is that the normal?
you have confused me now :roll:

On the Mk1, there is a light bulb that illuminates the position of the lever (a bit fiddly to change), and an LED in each of the sport and snow buttons.

The Mk2 also has a gear indicator on the dashboard in place of the oil temperature guage, which has LEDs for gear selection and sport and snow modes.

I think you are saying that your light bulb is intermittent. Maybe it is a bit loose?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Mine is Mk 1. I refer to the rocker switch down by the gearchange. It has two settings? I assumed one was sport (it has an S) Ah! the other setting is Snow? That is pulling away in 2nd or third?......it has little symbol? I refer to that one. when you press that it lights for a while .........but is off when you restart. So I wondered what mode it was then in.........normal? because no led is on now...sport or snow.

I assume the switch on dash is for Hydractive valves. I have no manual with relevant info.

Thanks

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Yes, I think you have it now. When not in sport or snow modes, it is in normal mode. It reverts to normal mode when switching on the ignition.

The hydroactive switch is the button with green logo just forward of the height lever. It is illuminated in sports mode, of if the lights are on. You can often only tell which position it is in at night with the lights off.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Re: V6 ECUs

Post by Stempy »

lexi wrote:If the battery is disconnected on V6 for any length of time how does ecu reprogramme itself. My battery was out but all seems ok AFAIK.

Have heard people speak about taking it on motorway and maintaining certain revs/speed.
I was told by an injection chappy that when you reconnect the battery you should switch on the ignition and then before starting the engine depress the accelerator fully a couple of times so the ecu can map the tps.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: V6 ECUs

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote: I was told by an injection chappy that when you reconnect the battery you should switch on the ignition and then before starting the engine depress the accelerator fully a couple of times so the ecu can map the tps.
Totally the opposite of what the official instructions say! Turn on ignition, de-immobilise, wait at least five seconds and then start. Do not touch the accelerator at all.

Then use a Lexia to check butterfly position at idle, mid-position and WOT.

My (MK1) ECU does appear to retrain after a battery disconnect.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well if that's the official Citroen line then that's the one to go for. I guess FI systems vary quite a lot so you can't really go by a general rule of thumb.

The ECU must be constantly 'learning' anyway, allowing for varying fuel octane and component tolerance. Probably not as complex a system as those on modern cars though.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Gearbox in mine seems to revert to "Economy Law 1" fairly smartly anyhow - I wonder what one has to drive like, for it to start off differently!

One indicator to look for with the ECU reset, is a raised kerb idle on initial startup. I reckon this is a no-stall choice of the computer when it hasn't fully quantified the response of the IAC.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Many thanks to all replys.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Gearbox in mine seems to revert to "Economy Law 1" fairly smartly anyhow - I wonder what one has to drive like, for it to start off differently!
If the AL4 is like the 4HP20 Adam, it'll only resume using the same law as last time if the gearbox oil is hot (above 60 degrees). If not, it'll start off using the warmup law and then once up to temperature, it'll then decide the best law to use with no reference back to the last operational law used.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Interesting; I'll try that in the coming few days. To get gearbox data I have to input the car as a 406 Pug!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Took it out today for for a first real try after recomissioning and gentle running. A and B roads with big open stretches and twisty bends.

Very very nice. All works as it should. Difficult to actually drive it to the limit on these roads without being silly. Handles as well as wifes Prelude despite being a much bigger car. Obviously smoother and with more comfort thrown in . Impressed :D

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2