KwikFit want HOW MUCH !!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeM
My Cars:

KwikFit want HOW MUCH !!!!!

Post by MikeM »

Well just as I was starting to relax about any further problems since the head swap, the old girl decided to remind me that she wasn't getting enough attention. (I'm talking about the car - just in case swmbo reads this)

swmbo told me recently that she could smell exhaust fumes in the car and as I don't have much time these days I suggested she drop into KwikRip for a diagnosis.

Result: There was a fracture all the way around the downpipe just as it enters the cat. Naturally a quote was offered...

£216 (cough cough splutter) - "is that for a whole new system?" I asked swmbo. Nope - just the downpipe which has the cat built in.

A little shopping around got it down to under £100 (what are KF on). As the new quote was so reasonable, I decided to go for a whole system at £160.

Sure I could probably have saved a bit by doing it myself, but as I no longer have workshop access and the weather is less than inviting I thought I'd be pragmatic (read lazy).

It's a fair cop! Okay it was most likely my fault that the exhaust broke as I had been rolling the engine forward more than 'just a tad' during the head swap. I guess I'm just going to have to expect these things to keep haunting me until I've rebuilt the whole car.

Moral of this story...

1. If you're going to do anything under the bonnet that involves rolling the engine forward (y'know - right engine mount off etc etc), consider disconnecting the downpipe from the turbo first.

2. Always get a quote from the little guys as well as the big chains. It could save you loadsa dosh and it might keep them afloat too. Besides, the little guys will usually let you wander under your car while it's on the ramp and have a good look round - just try that at KF.

3. Remember that hindsight should be a beacon of light to illuminate your next journey along a given path, not a ruddy great stick to beat yourself up with. If you work out how to mange that - please let me know.

MikeM
(Once more, poorer in pocket but richer in knowledge)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yes Mike and another moral is that a woman will always get quoted a sillier price IME. My wife proved this on a few occasions when I already had quotes. :shock:
Exhausts are well worth getting done at fitters if cost is not OTT. Can you ever get that car lifted high enough off the ground?...no :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what car is this as you might have been able to Dcat-it, if its most of the diesel Xant's at a cost of around 36 quid for the pipe pluss fitting,

regards malcolm
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

also lexi if u get it done at the exhaust place you can have a good look under the car while its in the air to have a good look at all the things that can go wrong,

thats y my mot place always (well if they know you well) lets u have a look underneath while they are doing there checks, just so you can see if anything is starting to deteroate etc, cause there are somethings that can go what the mot bloke cant fail i.e. the inner cv boots they can give an advisory but cant fail it on it

also if you know what your looking for especially on hydrolic citroens (cause my mot bloke hasn't got an idea about them) you can spot things that they maybe wont, like the upper strut top, i notced one of mine is starting to go but he didn't even tho he noticed my leaking strut on the same wheel,

also if donbe at exhaust place it'll give you an idea what the car needs for mot time,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
MikeM
My Cars:

Post by MikeM »

citronut wrote:what car is this as you might have been able to Dcat-it, if its most of the diesel Xant's at a cost of around 36 quid for the pipe pluss fitting,

regards malcolm
Xantia 1.9 SX turbo diesel. Please don't tell me I could have saved money - I've already spent it. :cry:

MikeM
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ok, we won't tell you that you could have had a catless pipe fitted and gained a few bhp too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xac wrote:Ok, we won't tell you that you could have had a catless pipe fitted and gained a few bhp too.
We won't mention the increase of about 3 mpg either will we?
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Quite remarkable how lack of capitalisation, zero punctuation and poor (sloppy?) grammar can often render some text hard to get the gist of, without re-reading several times....
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

I think I've had the downpipe on mine welded up at least several times now, and the most recent time, my mechanic friend punched a hole through it and welded a pipe through it. It now LOOKS like it has a cat, but don't innit :D

The elbow is also now 4mm steel.

220,000 and counting (and forded my first flood of the year this afternoon).
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lolingram wrote:Quite remarkable how lack of capitalisation, zero punctuation and poor (sloppy?) grammar can often render some text hard to get the gist of, without re-reading several times....
Is that an observation about KwikRip staff in general Lol :roll: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Is that an observation about KwikRip staff in general Lol
Of course Jim!
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj