Replacement Key C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Paul-R wrote:From memory I think that the blade was about 3mm longer. The original blade also had two notches in where the plastic was punched throuh leaving the two little holes.

As original ithe blade is effectively just an interference fit locked into position by the plastic bits caused, presumably, by two needles when the whole lot was put together. Completist that I am, I filed out the notches as well but I don't think it's necessary if you use a decent adhesive.

Ah yes, the adhesive. I used some very special two pack adhesive used in the motor body repair trade for repairing plastic items such as bumpers, dashboards, trim and the like. It's about £25 - £30 for a twin tube pack but I use it elsewhere (I repaired one of the lugs on the headlamp) and a little goes a long way. It's designed to be used in a special syringe but that was an expense too far and I very carefully use a rod to push equal amounts out of the tubes before mixing.
Thanks Paul-R I will give this a go when I can get near my milling machine, it is easier to drill accurately with this, I think I will use a two part epoxy resin ( cheaper) if the notches are restored in the new blade the epoxy when pushed into the holes in the Fob should act as two rivits I hope. Any ideas why the new key and the original fob pressed agaist the ignition switch will not enable an engine start?
C5 HDI 110 SX 122000 ESTATE
C5 HDI 2.2 2003 EXCLUSIVE ESTATE 151000 MILES
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I can only guess that it's just not in the right place.

Other possibilities are that ID circuitry in the swivelling part of the key are damaged or that the detector coil around the key barrel is damaged. Any chance either of those have happened?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Paul-R wrote:I can only guess that it's just not in the right place.

Other possibilities are that ID circuitry in the swivelling part of the key are damaged or that the detector coil around the key barrel is damaged. Any chance either of those have happened?
It is most unlikely The last time he drove his car it all woked normally, the blade was weak and it fell apart in his pocket, it was folded in at the time.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

acrowot wrote:
Paul-R wrote:I can only guess that it's just not in the right place.

It is most unlikely The last time he drove his car it all woked normally, the blade was weak and it fell apart in his pocket, it was folded in at the time.
Done this today, took 1and 1/2 hrs. spot on now starts the car thanks very much Paul-R, saved me at least £120.00 and a lot of aggro., I would have to have used a Mobile mech as car could not be moved, thanks again.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Thanks for posting and glad to have been able to help. It's a wonderful mutual help forum here.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​