sphere problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

sphere problems

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

morning guys,so yesterday i went to do the accumulator and the 2 front spheres on my newest xantia,i seriously doubt they have been changed since they were factory fitted as there is no travel in the front and the ride is as hard as the road ,back end is fine for now until i get a few more quid together

depressurised the system,attempted to turn the spheres on both sides of the car and nothing ,i pulled as hard as i could without taking the struts off the car and my hands are suffering this morning :cry: ,is there anything else i should try to get them turning as i dont fancy going to a garage after iv bought the tool and its a simple job anyway :roll:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

U will need to get medieval !! Cold chisel used at a tangent to the neck at the point it's screwed onto the strut top :twisted: A few hard blows should move them.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I've only had to resort to the cold chisel method once, and that was very recently, on the accumulator. However, I applied the chisel to the overlapping metal seam at the sphere's largest diameter, where I assumed a decent metal thickness, and it worked, using a lump/club hammer. Maybe it's the shock that get's the sphere moving? Applying chisel at the seam where the diameter's largest gives you the best "leverage"

Good luck - Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It is the shock that does the job. I prefer the neck as the force of the blow does not exert a bending load on the thread , also the blow is more directly applied to breaking the joint free. Sphere's do not need to be heavily tightened as the fluid seal is an O ring.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Hi Dave.

Put the chisel away !!

Just get a nice medium weight hammer and give the part that carries the sphere a couple of short sharp blows, as if you are trying to hit the threads of the spheres, right up close to the sphere but on the strut top itself, this allways does the trick for me.

You can also use this method on the rears, as it will break the corrosion between the cylinder and sphere, I use a short brass drift on the rears as you cannot realy get a hammer in and the brass drift will not damage the ally cylinders.

Regards.
Martin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Touch-wood, I've not had to chisel one yet.

Another tip is to apply percussion (at least a 4 Lb club hammers-worth) to the top of the sphere removal tool in the undoing direction as you try undoing the sphere.

Having a pukka Pleiades tool helps this method to work.

As said, it's the shock that does the trick.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
As said, it's the shock that does the trick.
Creep up behind them and shout BOOOOO! then :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Creep up behind them and shout BOOOOO! then :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Steve, that is so funny! gave me a good giggle...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Shock? Take the car for a thorough wash and buff, then have the interior valet cleaned. Drive to the coast and sit in it watching the sun set while eating fish and chips.

Then - ever so gently - crouch down and whisper to the offside front wheelarch (being that engines "hear" through their pulleys) "Sorry, but I've found another. I can't love you any more"...

I reckon that ought to work!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well Dave, you've plenty of options - let us know which worked for you!

So now we've discovered Steve's technique - does this work with your gorgeous females as well Steve (referring to your avatar)?? :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xantidote wrote:Well Dave, you've plenty of options - let us know which worked for you!

So now we've discovered Steve's technique - does this work with your gorgeous females as well Steve (referring to your avatar)?? :lol:
No, they just laugh and walk away.
I may be doing something wrong :shock:
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

thanks guys il try get out tommorow weather permitting and hopefully il have that magic carpet ride back :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

:D got the fronts done but then it started to rain so i took her for a little drive...and WOW :lol: ..amazing is all i can say ,if this is how beautiful she drives with just the fronts changed i cant imagine how comfortable it would be with the other 4 spheres,ramps and speed bumps no longer noticeable .. :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k