Torque wrench settings for BX eng. mtg. bolts ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimW
My Cars:

Torque wrench settings for BX eng. mtg. bolts ?

Post by JimW »

I'd like to know the torque wrench settings for bolts that are part of the right-hand engine mount on my '88 BX19GTi.
The 3 bolts in question secure the vertical (cast alloy) plate to the block itself - this plate actually straddles the cambelt.
Note that I'm not talking about the horizontal plate that's secured by four studs & nuts - in fact three of these studs are fixed in the plate I am referring to.
The bolts are M10x1.25, they have about an inch of thread, of which roughly 3/4" is screwed into the alloy block.
My Haynes manual (1988, strange off-grey colour) suggests that these bolts should be tightened to 16.6 ft lb, but this seems a bit low to me.
Also, the rear two of these bolts had thread lock applied, the front one had none. Should I re-assemble with thread lock (the Haynes manual makes no mention of this - that I could see) ?
Any information on these topics would be appreciated.
Jim.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A couple of revised editions Haynes BX are around.
The grey (seems more brown to me ?) at least in 2 editions, the latest editions being the blue cover, with Haynes new system of ranking the difficulty of work. I've got these 3.
In all 3 editions, the engine mounting bolts ("c") torque is given as 23Nm/2.3kgfm/16.6lbfft. If you feel this is not enough, simply use threadLock. It's very unwise overtorque bolts in a light-alloy housing.
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

Thanks Anders.
It's all done now, I did them all to 16.6 lbf ft, as per the manuals, and used threadlock as well. The centre one really is a swine to access with the engine in place !
It looks like the old manual might have had 3 revisions - it certainly seems to have been printed 3 times.
Now to colours:
In daylight, the manual is an almost indescribable colour - it's probably got some brown or olive-brown in it.
Under tungsten lighting, however, it's more mid-dark grey - but again almost impossible to describe.
Perhaps someone can tell us what this horrible colour is called !
On a more serious note, I'm intersted that you have both the old manual and the new, blue, one.
I had a quick look at the blue one a few weeks ago, it certainly includes the BX 19 GTi properly, instead of just in the supplement.
However, it didn't really seem to be much - if any - better than the old one I already have.
What do you think - is the blue one better, is it worth getting ?
Jim.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Jim
The best edition of Haynes is the fat brown edition printed in 1995 which includes all the original manual plus the supplements and has the full description of the hydraulics, the 16 valve engine, more on the transmission etc. The later blue edition is edited down and looses a lot in the process. I was lucky and found one in a charity shop by chance. I had similar luck with a grey edition of the Citroen diesel engine manual, bought the current blue edition, and later found the earlier grey one with supplements for a few pence.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I can only agree with Jeremy [:p]