buying a 02 C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

boristhespie wrote:Any rules for buying private?

Check car (obviously)

Check MOT Docs

Check Service Dos (what is there are gaps?)

DO a HPi check.

Anything else?
Listen to your instinct, both wrt the car AND the seller.
This may sound strange I know but for me it will usually say "buy me!" or something like "nice but......" you might not be able to put words to the "but" don't worry just walk away.

AND however much it says " buy me!" walk away for 24 hrs and let the whole deal mull over in the back of your brain, if after this it still says "buy me" and it's still there then buy it and if it's gone then it wasn't meant to be.

cachaciero
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I would say with a car as complex as the C5 check all the gadgets. Somethings are just nice to have but not essential. However if you go for a car with AC make sure it works because fixing it could be expensive. Check the rear wheels for being parallel, I don't know how big a problem it is on the C5 but from the 405 to Xantias to XMs I check.

Best feature of my C5 is the reversing sensors and self folding mirrors that activate when you lock the car.

Good luck in your search, they are a lovely car if a little soulless.

Steve.
not applicable
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay Advice needed. Have seen a C5 LX, I was told it was a 110BHP, however Mines has a sticker this does not and the documentation only says its 2ltr (199?cc). It is an 03, the gears are different in that you lift up a knob to put it into reverse, mines doesn't have this. Just worried this is a 90bhp. Any way of telling.

The car has been sitting for 5 months, the owner died, when I drove it it was great howeverm the STOP sign and oil indicator light came on, as was the airbag light. Now the guy read the manual and put water in and said (after I had left) that the light had gone off. I suspect this is a result of sitting, maybe the oil needs done. it was MLT'd this week, it talk about a out of alignment valve.

Also the front window went down but would not go up. IO have been told that it did this earlier and it went up when the car was started again.

Finally the back door doesn't open, there seems no connection between the catch and the handles. Maybe a rod diconnected or something.

Now that seems like a lot BUT it's an old codger selling and I trust him. I had a mechanic look the car over and he said it was sound and the car has done bugger all miles and is very very cheap.

Need to travel distance tomorrow before someone jumps in, can you advise on these points. Are they the result of sitting?

Is the STOP and oil light signs a symptom of this and would putting water in remedy this.

And what about the door and window?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

steelcityuk wrote:, they are a lovely car if a little soulless.
Rubbish!! They are the most interesting car you'll find. Every day you will love it a bit more. Then you won't ever imagine driving anything else.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Let's not get caught up in an argument any advice?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

boristhespie wrote: Just worried this is a 90bhp. Any way of telling?
Open the bonnet and if there is a second radiator about 8 inches wide right next to the normal radiator, then it's a 110.

This is the intercooler and has two large pipes crossing the engine bay.

I don't think the 90 was fitted with the reverse next to 1st gear.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

not near the car tonight, long journey tomorrow. Should this not be on documentation somewhere?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

If you look at the VIN number, there should be some letter like RHZ. That is the engine type. RHZ = 110, RHY = 90bhp. RHS is also 110, but had FAP. I don't think this engine was sold in the UK.

Private message me the VIN number and I'll email back the full spec per the Citroen Service website.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

To prove how amateurish I was I never got the vin number, I took a photo of reg doc but it hasn't come out.

I aint making this easy.

Re windows and door and lights.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Have you a photo of the engine bay?
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

no, it looked like mine with the pipe to the turbo and the airflow pipe but I didn't look at the second radiator, never knew anything about it.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine has the collar that you lift to engage reverse.

Can't see any reason it should lose water from standing. Check for a leak when it warms up.

The rear door problem is not uncommon. Likely a detached linkage.

The front window probably has a bad switch, again not uncommon. Pop the switch and clean the contacts usually fixes that, otherwise a new switch.

If it has the turbo pipe then it will have the intercooler there and be a 110.

Look on all the door shuts, sometimes the stickers are not where you expect them to be.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Hpi check says it's a 110BHp

How do fix the linkage in the door if the door can't be opened?

How mcuh would a 55k service cost. It's not a big one is it?

BEEN QUOTED by dealer £257 for service and £53 for replacing coolant. Can coolant be a job for a novice?
mooseshaver
My Cars:

SX VTR

Post by mooseshaver »

More differences from an SX to a VTR (face lift), if anyone is interested. I lost my C5 in the Cockermouth floods and have replaced it with a VTR 1.6HDi

Moisture sensor, it does something with the climate control to demist windows or stop them getting misted.

Air con can only be tunred off in a menu under another menu

Light sensor, which is not the same as the one for the headlights. It detects when sunlight is shining on the car and knows you might be feeling hotter so works harder to cool you.

Lumbar support instead of arm rests on front seats.

Cruise control speed is now set on a digital display, and if you keep your finger on "up" it suddenly starts jumping in 5mph increments. Which is fun when you are used to the old way of holding it down untill you reach your desired speed, and accidently set it to 120mph.

Two trip counters can be stored as well as the usual odometer one!
Radio Text.

Some have said the ride is not as wallowy. No sport button.

The acceleration of the 1.6 is fine and easy to make it go fast wearas my old 2.2 had to be worked hard to make it go.
More wheel spin/traction control intervention in the 1.6 (my fault, kept driving it like a 2.2)
Engine is also noisy compared to the 2.2.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Actually the older SX does have the sunlight sensor too, all C5s with climate control have this feature.

The facelift has an air quality sensor, which means it can adjust onto recirculate or not depending on the outside air quality.

Later C5s do seem better to drive, they feel a bit tighter and more communicative than the earlier ones. Though late S1 VTR cars seem almost as good too, better than the earlier S1s. Though they dont ride as well as the earlier cars.

How do you find the 1.6 for economy and reliability? Is it brisk enough? For some reason the 1.6 C5 has always appealed to me, i like the facelifts and it should be similar in performance to the 2.0 110. Ive heard many good things about them.

Im yet to drive one in a C5, ive driven a couple of C4 1.6HDis and they have been nice. We have been looking at getting another C5 (yes another one!) for my dads business use, though maybe try a 1.6 estate, tax and economy advantages and we already have a 2.0 138 HDi. So i would be interested to know. :)

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10