buying a 02 C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

buying a 02 C5

Post by boristhespie »

Found another 02 C5 hdi lx, thinking of buying done 60,000 any things I should look for before passing my wad of dosh over?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'd think that by now you have discovered just about everything that can go wrong with them!

Is this a second car or a replacement?
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Well my car is 123,000 miles now and doing 110 miles a day so want another car just in case. HOlding up well despite engine management light coming on most of the time. Need to change break blocks.

Will check new car for rear trailing arm noise, will check calipers for rust, what about suspension? anything else.

There is a newer model (2005 I think), not the latest but the revamp with the Citroen chevrons in bonnet that has done 50,000 but that is 2 grand more which seems a hell of a lot for 10,000 miles.

Any thought appreciated. Going to France soon and need to get this sorted.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If a 05reg with 50K miles is only £2K more than an 02reg with 60K miles then id say that is a pretty good deal! Not to mention it will have more spec ... S1 Lx models seem to always be the cheapest, as the SX models have so much more spec most people want those.

However, generally the most reliable engine is the earlier 2.0HDi 110, as this does not have the fap filter like the newer (facelift) models have. So a facelift will have a fap, though they are much more reliable than the earlier 2.2HDis.

What engine is in the facelift 05reg? 1.6HDi or 2.0HDi? I really like the later 138 2.0HDi 16v, it really has a lot more go than the earlier S1 2.0HDi 110s, and its more economical too. Ive never heard of any problems with the later 2.0HDi 138, which is good news, i hope ours stays reliable. Though its often electrical gremlins that plage C5s and not engine problems.

Our 52reg C5 2.0HDi SX has 119K miles, its never ailed a thing and it still drives great, everything works, it feels as it should to drive and ive no problems or worries about putting lot more miles onto it, its totally reliable and there is nothing at all wrong with it, it does 85 miles most days.

Im looking at getting another C5 to replace the pug, i think its going to be another 2.0HDi, preferably a very late S1 (pre-facelift) VTR if i can find one. Which if what ive been reading is correct has a lot of the improvements as the facelift, but still with the good 110 engine. I like the VTR spec as the interior looks a bit more modern and the bigger whels suit the cars body size much better. Though i might get a facelift version yet, will have to see what i find.

I wouldnt be so held up on finding the lowest mileage C5 possible, as if they are looked after they will go and go. Obviously lower mileage is nice but i wouldnt be paying over the odds just for a few less miles. Though you do seem to find problematic ones, these can just as easily be low mileage cars.

We are onto our 3rd C5 now, the last estate we had, 2.0HDi 110 SX, was a little rough in some ways, much slower than the C5 hatch 110 and less economical. It felt like it had been to the moon and back unlike the C5 hatch which we still have and love. The estate had full history and was tidy to be in and look at, but it just felt tired, it had less miles than the C5 hatch. So you do get good and bad ones, though itdoesnt always depend on mileage.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

5 grand for 05 (50 k miles) and 2750 for 02 (60k miles) what do you recommend. Both hdi
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I'd test drive both thoroughly and listen to them both carefully. Buy whichever one is best!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay test drived the 02 not the 05 price is better £2795.

It is the SX model of 110bhp HDi with Alloys etc

62,000 miles.

Few scratches. Looks like it has been owned by caravan owner as has towbar. Lot of minor scratches on bumper at boot.

Worries

Bit of rust on the engine side of the suspension strut. Stuck a knife in and it felt solid.

Rockerhead seal may be knackered. Seemed to be oil leak there. Maybe something to do with the last bolt rotating in its socket on the right side. I assume this is just a sheered bolt.

Suspension may have a leak on left front. Not sure, could have been water.

Fairly bad Squealing noise coming from pullys or alternator.

There has been a bit of respray on the doors on the righthand side. Paint on the seals however try as we did (had mechanic guy with me) we couldn't make out any evidence of dent or incident.

Airbag fault

The garage is a small one. I told them I would buy it if fault corrected.

Will get one months warranty. The car will be fully serviced and MOT'd. Any fault I have pointed out will be repaired.

Does that seem okay?

Advice, Need to tell the guy tomorrow that I am 100%

Image Image
Image Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine (same age) has similar rust there that worries me but is not as bad as in this photo.

I'll have a look on mine in the morning, current crop of photo's have engine cover on so couldn't say what the apparent missing bit is.
As for the oil leak, as long as they fix it I wouldn't worry.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thanks for putting the photos up.

The rust seemed to be surface only. I stuck a knife in it and it seemed solid. Have no way of getting into the other side the covers above were different to what I have on mine and screwed down. Mine are just clips. But that's what I will be looking at if I buy with the month guaratee.

As for the oil leak, glad that seems not to be a huge problem. The bolt was turning as the engine was running, lucky we took the cover off. But I guess a new bolt may sort this out.

Lastly the pulleys (I just had mine done too) or alternator were making a horrible screech so they need sorted. Probably the bearings of the pulley knackered but the guy said he had this before with a car and sorted it so that will be done.

Guy never budged on price but seeing as these go for more as far as I have been able to ascertain this isn't a bad price if he gets it done. Do you guys think this about right?

Guy wasn't particularu pleasant, a cold unfriendly take it leave it manner, has to be said but as long as I get what I want I aint bothered with bad attitudes.

That said I did find a 02 Volvo S60T with 44k miles for 4999 elsewhere. Lovely with its leather seats but I can't afford it just now.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi Boris,

is that a garage in Arbroath?
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can't see that position very well but appears to be empty.
Click the thumbnail, the twice on the image that opens for full resolution.

The squealing could be the belts or worse the DM pulley, at least it will be fixed.

It does seem a little high in price although a lot less than I paid for an SX with higher mileage, before the bottom fell out of the prices.
Partly your location I presume, prices do seem a little higher up your way.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Think it's the pulley. Bearings. As long as it is fixed. Notice retouched paintwork and bent sill a little so may have hit something, has not been write off.

Prices seem higher for same car hence why I am looking at this.

I knwo there is a major shortage of second hand cars especially after the scrappage scheme distorted things.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Yeah Meexi it is a garage in Arbroath.

Funny thing, while the guy said that it would be there first thing in the morning as there hadn't been much interest, when I went back there was apparently a guy waiting five minute before me, who bought it straight away.

I had been there early but had to come back as the guy wasn't there so I did and that 5 minutes made the difference.

Utterly devastated, funny how things work eh? Our cars knackered and we aint going to France for Christmas now.

Tiny garage out of the way and then I am going to buy a car, ask advice here due to a lack of confidence and viola another buyer appears from nowhere.

Guess that's the nature of things eh. I'm a muppet.
Last edited by boristhespie on 15 Nov 2009, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

just in case you thought it was not me that bought it :) :D
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

It was someone from Arbroath.

Devastated.

s**t it because of engine management light and mileage of current car. It has a stutter.

Really lacking in cash so can't afford anything decent to get to and from work. Stuck travelling from Arbroath to Aberdeen for a s**t job adding 600 miles each week to a rapidly ageing c5 and unable to afford bugger all, including the train.

I invest emotionally in things, as you may have noticed, primarily because circumstance, so things like this really knacker me up. Sound melodramatic but...

We wont be visiting family in France this Christmas. First time in 3 years. My father in law is on his way out and I can't fly.

Just have to look again. Thanks for the help though.