c5 disc and brake block

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

No the calipers fell apart at the citroen dealer in france a couple of years ago. If they glue them in like this, how the hell do garages get them off to replace brakes?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

With a blowtorch. :mrgreen:

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

one of the photos says it isn't there.

I take it then the flame isn't really on the calipers itself but the bolt through the hole?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, it's the bolts that need heating, and this caliper has two holes to reach the bolts.
Once they're out past the holes, they can be heated directly.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I'll tell the Bosch that. need to get it sorted my brake wear light comes on beeping as I go around a corner even if I don't press the breaks!!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Not all C5 calipers have the thread lock and holes.
Don’t know if it goes by vintages or anything, but those without don’t have that problem.

The brake wear wires can be routed incorrectly, or left to dangle and touch the inside of the wheels when cornering.
It’s a common problem, because the bodgers Image find it too much trouble to reassemble to original condition.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You had the rear trailing arm bearings done recently!

It is possible that the callipers were removed then, which should make working on them so much easier.

Could be also that the cables for the sensors have been disturbed/not refitted correctly.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Unfortunately they couldn't get the calipers off! They said they were set tight and it would have taken too long to take them off, and cost more, so they undid the whole think apparentlywhich is not boding well for easy changing of brakes but they have to be done.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

boristhespie wrote:They said they were set tight and it would have taken too long to take them off, and cost more, so they undid the whole.
Gosh :shock: It's difficult doing rear arm bearings with the calipers (and by extension discs) still in place.

Go very gently and you'll be OK. Dose the ends of the caliper bolts in Plus Gas, wire-brush any rust off their ends and then go very carefully and gently with a long breaker bar and a good, tight fitting socket. Gentrl try to undo the bolt without snatching but under firm pressure. Let the bolt take it's own time and don't force. Try doing it up a bit before trying again to undo. I recommend a long breaker bar to apply torque in a controlled way. I find gentle torque on a long bar works better than a big effort on a short bar which often results in bolts shearing.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

THanks but as a non mechanic I will have to let the garage do this. The one I went to to read the computer seem nice, well I know they are. How good they are I can't say but as Bosch labelled they must know their stuff and they never took any money off me for checking the computer twice including taking the car out on a run, apparently with the computer attached (is that possible) so I can trust them but will have to advise them to take their time. So thanks for the info.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Unbelieveably the brake blocks were only worn on the front. 80%, that was setting off the beep thingie. Got them done £80. At Bosch garage. Happy with that. Was feared it would be the rear calipers crumbling too. Can't imagine how the brake blocks and disks have lasted so long. I was told they had 10k left on them 3 YEARS and 50-60k miles ago!
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

boristhespie wrote:Can't imagine how the brake blocks and disks have lasted so long. I was told they had 10k left on them 3 YEARS and 50-60k miles ago!
Depends very much on what sort of driving you do and on your driving style. Some folks are on the brakes all the time.

Nice going there though. How is the new one.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

NEw one has a few niggles, Door and window but runs okay. Not running it yet. Will get photos up. Identical, wish is wasn't, even if it was just anoterh colour, just for something different but colour is the least of it really. Otherwise seems okay. Much tighter and firmer.
C'est pas possible!