Rev counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paco
My Cars:

Rev counter

Post by paco »

I've had my N reg diesel Xantia 1.9 for a few years now, the rev counter didn't work when I bought it and it's never really bothered me and after all, it is not a MOT fail.

Is this a common problem? Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions where to start? Quick fixes?

Thanks in advance.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes a common thing BUT VERY easy - ish to fix..

Theres a Sensor on the rear of the block, gearbox end, ABOVE the drivers side drive shaft as it enters the gearbox, its a black sensor held in place by a plastic C type squeeze clamp, its a 10mm nut...

Two things its either gone short cuircut and stopped working, OR theres a lot of oil and crap on the top preventing it from picking up the rasied part for it to calculate the Revs, undo the 10mm nut, NOT ALL THE WAY OUT, it may be a little stiff, GENTLE leverage may remove it, but it could be brittle from the years of heat, clean the end up, then what I do, is have the car on ramps, start the engine and push the sensor in, then gently tapping it in untill the rev counter comes into life.. if by the time you get it pushed all the way in and the rev counter still dont work, then the sensor has had it..

Good luck
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

If you have no joy with checking out the sensor as mentioned by Paul, then follow the lead from the sensor up to the 3-way grey connector located on top of the gearbox. Maybe you've got a corroded connection here. If not, then you need to be considering whether the problem lies in the rev counter/instrument panel - not so easy to access.

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would check the plug conector first as its easyer to get at than pulling the sensor out

regards malcolm
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

Thanks for all the tips guys, i'll be trying these at the weekend.