Knocking from My Xantia 1.8i 8v (R reg)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skelly2
My Cars:

Knocking from My Xantia 1.8i 8v (R reg)

Post by skelly2 »

Hi,
Wondering if anyone can advise.My car knocks when going over bumps on any surface.It is a type of vibrating knock.I thought it may have been a ball joint or track rod end. I had my track rods done, but the knock is still there. Local Citroen dealer is unable to locate problem.Can anyone help?
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi
I'm assuming it's from the front. A common problem is the drop link. It takes a bit of finding, but try it both with the weight on and off the suspension and see if that's it.
Jamie
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Rattly front brake pads? Failing that, I once got caught on a BX with a worn rack end on the steering. It's a ball joint type of thing & can only be detected with the car up in the air & the wheel off the ground. It is attached to the steering yet you can't feel it through the wheel; it can be very hard to detect.
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Go to the search page and type "drop link" check match exact frase box
and search in the citroen forum.
Though if a cit garage can't find the source its probably not a drop link, if it is they want a good shoeing.
Dave
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Dave,
The reason I mentioned the rack end was that I bought this car from a Citroen mechanic (it was his wifes car), he in turn had it RWCd (MOT) by a guy who knew Cits, I looked for this noise for 22 months and it took a non Cit garage to pick it in straight away when he did the RWC on it when I sold it.
I've since found it in a couple of others; common rattle rarely found.
Alan S
skelly2
My Cars:

Post by skelly2 »

Thanks guys,
booked back into the garage with the suggestion of the drop link. Turns out that is what it was