C5 particle filter additive ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

C5 particle filter additive ???

Post by john alexander »

Hi my C5 estate 2006 1.6hdi has just warned me that my particle filter additive is too low ?? HELP what is it ? where do I get it ? why do I need it and where do I put it ??. All answers to these Questions and the other ones I should have asked but didn't will as always be Gratefully Received . Regards John.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is the dreaded Eolys fluid.

You can refill the tank yourself and it isn't too difficult, a bit awkward though.

Info from Honest John

More

It is a Cerium based fluid that reduces the temperature that the soot burns at that is caught in the particle filter. A small amount is injected into the diesel tank at each fill-up. The ECU measures the amount of diesel put into the tank and dosed out the appropriate amount of Eolys fluid.
Allowing the tank to become depleted is quite bad news on some models, needs the ECU replacing.

The Eolys fluid is expensive, currently around £38/L and the tank takes four litres. The particle filter often needs changing around the same time so watch out for that coming.

There are two types of Eolys fluid too, make certain you get the correct one.

Don't be talked into using the commercial wagon stuff - Blue somethingorother, it is completely different and incompatible, urea based, reportedly extracted from bovine urine, as close to BS as it comes :)

You will find some more info on this forum if you can be bothered to trawl through it.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Out of interest, how many miles has your 1.6HDi done to warrant a eolys fluid top up?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

myglaren wrote:
Don't be talked into using the commercial wagon stuff - Blue somethingorother, it is completely different and incompatible, urea based, reportedly extracted from bovine urine, as close to BS as it comes :).
The stuff in question is AdBlue :) :)

Colin
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

what would happen if you just filled the tank with diesel?
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

The problem as I see it with the Eolys fluid is that every time you open the fuel flap, you inject a small quantity of Eolys into the system, now if you are a fill it up until empty chap you will make the most of the fluid in the tank, wheras if you open the flap and put a tenners worth in every couple of days, it will not last very long at all.

Regards.
Martin.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pleiades wrote:The problem as I see it with the Eolys fluid is that every time you open the fuel flap, you inject a small quantity of Eolys into the system, now if you are a fill it up until empty chap you will make the most of the fluid in the tank, wheras if you open the flap and put a tenners worth in every couple of days, it will not last very long at all.

Regards.
Martin.
The system is supposed to take note of how much fuel is added to the tank and deliver a proportionate amount of Eolys.
Could be a fault in the system and too much Eolys is being added to the diesel.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi car has done 101k and has supposedly full service history . john
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah right, probably is due for it in that case. Im told usually around 70-80K is the norm for refilling this?

Hows the 1.6 at 101K miles? Im quite interested, still going well and good on fuel? Had any problems?

One bit of advice i would give, is frequent oil changes, as the 1.6HDi can suffer turbo failure if the oil is left for too long.

Id like a facelift C6 1.6HDi, so im interested to hear what you think.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi Chris , only had it about 6 mths , great towcar, think w/bearing on the way out was like that when I bought it at auction . It's a one driver company car and as I got it for 3k with new tyres and 11months MOT I guesss I'll have to spend some money on it .
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what i understand is the earlier systam has a float in the tank to indicate when low/empty, and the later system has an electronic counter,

if you catch and top up the float type system before the warning comes up, you should get away with haveing to have it pluged into a LEXIA to re/set,

were as the lecy counter system dose not allow this opption,

also i belive if required the filter which is in the exhaust forward of the CAT costs abot 140/50 quid, but some people say it can be removed and cleaned with a STEAM cleaner (not jet wash),

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

meexi wrote:what would happen if you just filled the tank with diesel?
The particle filter would clog up faster than it should as the soot particles would not be able to burn off.

Malcom: The particle filter is the second one fitted downstream of the cat.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

hopefully this doesn't have any relevance to Xantia Hdi's?
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh JUST GOT QUOTED A PRICE FOR TOPPING UP £170 AND IF IT NEEDS A FILTER £600. How do I know if the filter needs replacing , ie Ripoff avoidance. Got to go now there's a rope with my name on it . John
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You will get a notification on the same screen that the filter needs replacing as it becomes due.
Flow sensors upstream and downstream check the flow and let you know when to replace it.

It was possible to clean them, a very messy and time consuming procedure though. This is now technically forbidden as the crap washed out of them has to be properly disposed of and not allowed to flow into the nearest drain.

Part of the cost of fitting one will be the cost of disposal. Sometimes they offer reconditioned filters but these are said not to last anywhere near as long as the new ones. Average life is around 100,000 miles, allegedly.

The filters are around £145 and you should be able to swap one yourself without much bother.

May be available from after market sources (EuroCarParts, GSF, Bosal, etc.)