xsara starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ciarant

xsara starting problems

Post by ciarant »

Hi my xsara only starts when i take the positive terminal off the battery and then replace it, it will then start and i can restart it for about half an hour then i have to repeat the process again, the battery is brand new and this problem only started a couple of days ago?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Did the problem start after fitting the battery? If so then the battery may be faulty. Did you change anything elseat the same time? What was the problem with the battery so that you had to change it?

A few more details would possibly help. Year? Petrol or diesel? Phase I or II?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
ciarant

Post by ciarant »

its a 2002 petrol, i had to replace it a couple of months ago because it just needed a new battery, this problem only happened on monday, when i drove through a deep puddle but the battery looks fine and the terminals are clean and dry, its very strange! and to make things worse im trying to sell it, but thats not going to happen unless i fix this problem!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Unfortunately I don'tknow the petrol engine at all but is the air filter pickup tube located low down? If so, water can be picked up and go into the inlet tract.

On a diesel there's then a MAF sensor which can be damaged by water, as can the paper air filter. These should then be looked at. I hope that someone with petrol experience can take this further.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
ciarant

Post by ciarant »

Thanks for posting back, will check the air filter when i get a chance, can anyone else shed some light on this strange problem?