Xantia 24V warm-up time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastred
My Cars:

Xantia 24V warm-up time

Post by fastred »

I changed my 2.0l 16v Xantia for a W-reg 24v Exclusive last November. The new car is great except that in comparison with the 16v it takes a long time to produce any warm air after a cold start. The thermostat is OK and the dealer I bought the car from says that this is a characteristic of the 3litre engine. Can anyone confirm that this is normal?
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

Hi, seeing as no one else has replied how do you "know" the thermostat is OK? In my exp they can look ok, work OK in a suacepan on the cooker, and yet if you replace them all of a sudden things work better. And they opnly cost a few pounds from Citroen, a good idea sometimes to fit a genuine one. They also come in different temp settings.
Sorry no exp of V6
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Do _any_ hoses get warm / hot ?
Are you sure you don't have an air block somewhere, if so, you need it sorting before you blow a gasket !
Zummerman
My Cars:

Post by Zummerman »

If it's any help (and it's probably not) my V6 XM hits 60 degrees and pumps out warm air about 2 miles down the road on its first run of the day. Those two miles are covered at 40-50 mph. I'd check for air locks then change the thermostat.
fastred
My Cars:

Post by fastred »

Thanks for the replies so far. My "check" of the thermostat involved starting from cold and feeling the various hoses under the bonnet as the engine warmed. There was no flow of warm water to the rad. until the heater hose had got quite hot, which suggests to me that the stat is doing its job.
The other thing I did notice was that the flow of water to the heater is not that great at idle speeds - one can feel a surge of hot water in the hose on revving the engine.
I will have a good check for air locks. Things are not helped by the Haynes manual (which I bought when running the 16V car) does not cover the 24 V motor.
Fastred
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

A surge of water tot he heater when reving the engine hints at low water level to me....