bad starting again sorry

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andrew b

bad starting again sorry

Post by andrew b »

after trying an earlier suggestion of undoing an injector pipe i have discovered there is no fuel until the engine is turned over 3 or 4 times.i cant find an air leak anywhere so could it be the pump itself?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Does it help to use the hand primer before using the starter?
andrew b

Post by andrew b »

the primer bulb doesnt help but it is soft and does firm up after a couple of squeeses but after reading a previous thread maybe i should pump with the ignition on so the stop solinoid is open
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Please clarify exactly what you mean by "until the engine is turned over 3 or 4 times".
Do you mean 3 or 4 engine revolutions or 3 or 4 seperate attempts.
Dave
andrew b

Post by andrew b »

its 3 or 4 engine revolutions before any fuel comes out
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Depending on which union was opened and where the engine had stopped, there can be 4 compression strokes before any fuel will be pumped to that particular injector.
Would I be correct in thinking that you may be confusing the fluctuating sound of the starter at each compression stroke, for engine revolutions, as 4 compression strokes is 2 engine revolutions, so 4 revolutions would be 8 compo strokes.
Sounds a bit daft to be asking such questions but I obviousely don't know your level of mechanical prowess, so it has to be asked because what you are seeing could be normal.
Dave
andrew b

Post by andrew b »

its 3or4 revolutions before any fuel comes out.i undid all 4 pipes and they are all the same.it seems for some reason the pump cant hold fuel for any length of time.has anyone fitted the non return valve yet?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If the fuel level in the pump had fallen low enough to cause this, you would get between eight and twelve squeezes of the primer bulb before it firmed up, but you say you only get a couple, this means there is ample fuel in the pump because the primer bulb will only firm up when diesel reaches the outlet restrictor high up in the injection pump.
Could be a sticking solenoid, easey to find out if it is by removing the spring and plunger from it, providing its not a keypad or transponder key model.
The actual pumping action of the VE pump is very simple and extremely robust and reliable, the complicated part is the govenor and the levers and springs, I would think anything wrong in this department would manifest itself in other, worse ways that this.
Dave
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've got a non-return (or one-way) valve on my TD xantia. I fitted it in between the fuel filter housing and the pump and it cured my starting problems
My problem was helped by priming before starting.
mipzter
andrew b

Post by andrew b »

thanks dave i will have a look at the solinoid and see if thats the problem