pinion and HC removal pain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidc
(Donor 2021)
My Cars:

pinion and HC removal pain

Post by davidc »

Attempting to remove for overhauling but currently at a standstill with both bits of ***. Can anyone who has done these jobs offer some guidance?
HC
Apart from the steel pipes being a little hard to retract from said objects how do I remove these things (front and rear) All are bolts removed, the HC flops around but I cant see how to disengage from sway bay?
Pinion
Trying to do this beastie while rack is in situ. Do I need to remove the ram to free the pinion/ram feeder pipes? Once all pipes, 2 bolts etc are removed does the pinion just pop out of the rack or is there more sinister work to be done?
cheers
David
2007 C5 hdi Wagon
74 D Special
2009 Mercedes Benz ML 320 cdi
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi David, memory is a bit hazy re pinion but think that the two bolts and getting the column out of way (undo pinch bolt in upper column and slide column upwards) and the pinion will come out, but its a tight fit.. judicious use of a drift and a hammer.. maybe knock pinion flange around first to loosen it?

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

H/C

why do you need to strip and clean the H/C, as they very seldom give any trouble appart from a bit of sludge builds up inside the diaphrams,

its usualy the H/C linkages/turrets sizeing which cause most of the hight/self leveling problems,
pop the nylon link off then you should be able to unhook the H/C,

once off pull the dust covers off, gently prize the aloy rings off, then undo the 8mm nuts at each end and pull the diaphrams away, then the rest should be obvious,

clean it out only with petrol as this is what citroen state, then blow it out with compresed air,

pinion
once you have disconected the columb and all the pipes just drift the pinion upwards out of the rack body,

you mean you have undone all the pipes as they are very tight,

i found the only way to free them off was with my sawn off 12mm pipe spanner (split ring) on the nut then give it a sharp blow on the end with a long drift, as that is how i managed to get the little BBBB's undone in the end

i know as i have not long ago fitted a re/con pinion from Pleiades to a customers Xant

regards malcilm
davidc
(Donor 2021)
My Cars:

Post by davidc »

Well ended up pulling the rack out to release pinion but still had to remove pinion to ram pipes (turning and pulling the rack into better position to get at the those pipe nuts) before I could manipulate the rack out the right hand side. Once out no issue rolled the rack over and couple of hits and pinion was out. Though I didn't realise the thing I thumped under the rack and in line with the pinion is a roller bearing 'cap' to locate the pinion. Guess I need to tap it back down into place before refitting the pinion? Thanks again for all advice.
cheers
David
2007 C5 hdi Wagon
74 D Special
2009 Mercedes Benz ML 320 cdi
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry i did not think what i said might be translated to drifting out of the pinion from under the rack body its self, were the pinion spindle bearing cap is,

i used a drift against a lug sticking out of thefront lower edge of the pinion its self, as its is only the O ring around the neck of the pinion which is holding it in place once every thing is undone that is,

regards malcolm