Anyone fitted a K+N Filter to a 1.9TD ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul Thomas
My Cars:

Anyone fitted a K+N Filter to a 1.9TD ?

Post by Paul Thomas »

I have a Citroen 1.9TD ZX Volcane.
My air filter is due for renewal and I was thinking of getting either a replacement K+N panel filter or a 57i (if they do one).
Anyone fitted one, did it improve the economy or performance ?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

My understanding is that it won't - but my knowledge is limited to normally-aspirated diesels. Try posting on the BX technical forum, asking for Stefan's opinion. He's done most things possible to do with the 1.7 XUD turbo engines, if not the 1.9.
David
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

On turbo-diesels, boost pressure is limited by a blow-off valve anyway (to 1 bar on 1.9 TD), so I wouldn't expect any gain in power with a 'better' filter.
It's different on normally aspirated engines, where up to 10% power increase is promised. But on local forums here, most owners didn't notice any difference either (with the exception of some older carburettor-type engines), only the engine is louder. Also, so far I didn't find any measurements showing the improvement with K&N or similar filter. Maybe someone did?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Basically what you are hoping is that a less restrictive air filter will improve your performance?
Why not simply remove your existing filter and take the car for a run and see if there is any difference. If there is then the filter was restricting the airflow and a K & N one may help by flowing better.
You should put all the system back together rather than simply disconnecting a pipe near the turbo as a simple pipe end may cause eddies and in effect restrict the airflow.
A word of warning - On these cars there seems to be an accumulation of muck in the bottom of the air cleaner box on the open side of the filter. Normally this is harmless but the box should be cleaned carefully before running the car without a filter. My Brother has an MX5 which uses a filter similar to a TD BX - ie flat element in a box. He was having some troubles and I thought I would check the filter condition - imagine my surprise on removing the element to find a large collection of hazelnuts - all carefully opened and the centres removed!
Jeremy