now it's leaking!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

now it's leaking!!

Post by fangy »

Hi,
Back again with the old Xantia,

My Xantia's decided to dump all it's LHM on the driveway. I suspect it's one of the rubber pipes that goes to the LHM tank (I recently had a dodgy garage burst one of them while replacing a clutch).

Is there anything I need to look out for when removing the LHM tank and will I need to have the car on ramps to get access to these pipes or can I get to them from above?
Once they come out of the LHM tank I've no idea where they go to.
Thanks,
Fangy.
95 Xantia VSX 1.9td, Fj1100, z-750 hardtail
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Hope it's not the same problem mine's had !! The main pressure feed from the pump has blown 7 times now !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Some pics may be?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
fangy

Post by fangy »

I've not taken the tank off yet, I was just wondering if there's anything to look out out for when taking it off,any problems I can expect and once the tanks removed if I'll be able to get access to the pipes without having the car on ramps, I'd rather not have it on ramps if I can get away with it.
Cheers,
Fangy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are you sure its a pipe leaking and not the anti sink capsule end cap worked its way loose,

regards malcolm
fangy

Post by fangy »

I found the leak this morning going to work, I've not had time to look at it yet but this is my weekend off so I'm going to start on it tomorrow.

It's just in front of the passenger side wheel. The cars doesn't usually have any drips or leaks but just recently one of the LHM pipes going to the tank got burst and repaired, not replaced as far as I know so I was going to start there.

Whats the anti sink capsule end cap, and where is it? can this just be popped back on?

Thanks,
Fangy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the anti sink capsule is just under the engine side of the hydraulic tank, its a metal unit and the end cap screws in with an O ring under it,

it is a known leak point and seems to be sorted by fitting a new O ring then screwing the cap back on tight,

im sure Martin of Pleiades gave an explanation of the proper cause and fix on here somewere

regards malcolm
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Well I will try to explain.....

The front and rear anti sink valves are the same unit, we get lots of leaks with the front only and never the rear one!

My theory and it is only a theory is that the valve being made from ally and the cap with the "O" ring inside is made from steel, due to the heat from the engine bay (the front one is located below the reservoir) you have different expansion rates of the two metals. When the valve was made they just made it to seal and do the job, now as the years have gone by the front valve has expanded and contracted only a little but with the "O" ring groove in the cap being too deep, the cap becomes loose and the "O" ring pops out, then you have a leak.

The rear on does not suffer from this as the temperature stays more or less constant and the back of the car.

Now you can just pop a new "O" ring in and tighten the cap, this can be done in situ, just a little bit of a fiddle bit certainly not impossible. The problem is here is that you have mended the problem but not stopped the cause, ie it could well happen again (I allways liken this type of work to mending a puncture but leaving the nail in the tyre)

When we overhaul these little valves, we re-machine the "O" ring groove and the end of the valve, this ensures that the problem is sorted and will not let you down later on.

Regards
Martin.