C5 - Turbo Gone -30,000 Miles ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have always maintained that the oil change intervals are to far apart on modern cars and that could well be a contributary factor. I change my oil at 5k intervals, I use the cheapest on spec oil I can and I've never worn an engine out yet even at nearly 300k.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Peter.N. wrote:I have always maintained that the oil change intervals are to far apart on modern cars and that could well be a contributary factor. I change my oil at 5k intervals, I use the cheapest on spec oil I can and I've never worn an engine out yet even at nearly 300k.
I have applied this method too and still do with the proviso that I don't use the cheapest oil anymore but only fully synthetic as anything other is said to seriously reduce the life of the turbo as it is intolerant of the high temperatures in the turbo.

I can't vouch for this theory but oil is much cheaper than a new turbo so best to be on the safe side.

citronel's hypothesis sounds a lot like common sense to me too.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Kowalski wrote:We're not going to agree about the hows and why's of EGR so I'm not going to argue with you about them.
:D No, I'm afraid I can't agree with you on this point.....what I have stated are facts of how the EGR system works....if you doubt any of this just Google EGR then you will have it in Black & White, maybe then you will agree :D

Kowalski wrote:One thing that nobody has mentioned thus far is oil change intervals. The original XUD9 had a 6k oil change interval. That went up to 10k on the last XUDs and the HDIs. My C5 has a 2 litre diesel engine and a 20k oil change inteval, does that sound like something that could cause premature turbo death? In any case I'm planning on changing my oil more frequently than Citroen says I should!
I do agree that pushing oil service intervals to the mileages they have is ridiculous. In my opinion this is skating on very thin ice,.....No one can tell me that an Oil service interval of 20k will be ok....no matter how "Magic" the Oil is supposed to be.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Porche are saying 30k for the boxer now, a mate of mine is rebuilding an accident damaged one and tbh giving a performance engine (no mater how clever the bores are at holding oil 30k is just stupid, i do mine at 1500miles ish now im down to 3-4k a year in the xm but for a properly used car on mainland journeys coving 10-15k a year i wouldnt leave it in the same oil for more than 5 or 6k like you say it doesnt matter how clever the oil or filter is, it all smacks of the marketing bs designed to pull in the fleet drivers to me :evil:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............